Jenny L Ferrier-Kerr
Adult Education; Curriculum; Education; Education Research; Leadership; Learning; Learning and Education; Learning Centered Leadership; Learning Environment; Lifelong Learning; Organisational Learning; Pedagogy; Professional Studies in Education; Schools (Primary/Secondary); Teacher Education; Teacher Practice/Practicum; Teacher Professional Learning/Development; Teaching; Teaching Ethics and Professionalism; Tertiary Education
Qualifications: TTC, Adv. Dip. T., B.Ed., M.Ed.
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Ferrier-Kerr, Mrs Jenny||6665||jfk||TT.2.13||Te Whiringa Educational Leadership and P|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room
I teach students in the Bachelor of Teaching, Primary Teacher Education for Graduates and Masters of Educational Leadership programmes. In the leadership field my teaching and research is centred on coaching and mentoring. I am currently a member of the editorial board for the International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching and Mentoring and was on the editorial board for the SAGE Handbook of Coaching (2017). Recently published papers and chapters in the mentoring and coaching field are on the topics of sustainable eMentoring programmes in schools, enhancing educational leaders' practice through coaching conversations, and mentoring as a navigational change compass. Publications on the topics of beginning teacher development and teachers' professional development reflect my additional research-practice interests. When my programme of work allows, I also facilitate professional learning to support teachers and school leaders in the development of their coaching/mentoring practice and pedagogy (consultancy). My doctoral research (nearing completion) comprised an investigation into the mentoring experiences of higher education teachers for the development of their teaching pedagogy and practice.
1. Meaningful primary education through an inquiry-based learning approach: Enriching student engagement, collaboration and language development.
2. Leading new faculty members to success in the ITP sector.
3. Retention of university students.
4. Exploring liminal space in anticipation of imminent educational change.
5. Being a coach/mentor: Overcoming fears and insecurities.
6. What role play do coaching programmes have in tertiary education settings in supporting students?
Recently Completed (2017-2018):
- Coaching for improved learning and achievement: Perceptions of questions used in the coaching conversation.
- The development of professional learning communities (PLCs) in the Philippines: Roles and views of secondary school principals.
- Enhancing awareness of the characteristics of resilience: Enabling nurses to develop personal resilience strategies.
- The value of teaching EI: Secondary school principals’ perceptions.
- Innovative learning environments: Advantages and disadvantages for New Zealand primary school teachers and children.
- Students’ perceptions of group work in their social work degree.
Teaching practicum; Coaching and mentoring; Inter-university partnerships
Ferrier-Kerr, J. (2017). Adding to the tool kit: Using video to enhance the practice of coaches and mentors. In Learnfest. Conference held at the University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Ferrier-Kerr, J. (2017). #transforming teaching practice. In Learnfest. Conference held at the University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Ferrier-Kerr, J., & Adam, A. (2017). Neighbourhood collegiality and mutual generosity: Fostering collaboration through a school cluster. In NZARE Conference 2017. Conference held at the University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Adam, A., Ferrier-Kerr, J., & Ussher, B. (2017). Better to be loud and clear: A collaborative approach to qualitative analysis. In NZARE 2017 Conference. Conference held at the University of waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.