Ms Judy Bailey
Researcher (Mathematics Education) - Technology, Environmental, Mathematics, and Science Education Research Centre Programme Co-ordinator (GradDipT Hamilton & MMP) - Office of Initial Teacher Education and Undergraduate Studies Senior Lecturer - Te Hononga School of Curriculum and Pedagogy
Mathematics Education; Teacher Education; Teaching
Qualifications: Master of Education University of Waikato Diploma of Teaching NZ Department of Education Bachelor of Science University of Waikato
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Bailey, Ms Judy||7742||jlbailey||TL.4.02||Te Hononga Curriculum and Pedagogy|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room
I am currently second supervisor for a student who is exploring how Tikanga Māori can be implemented appropriately in a secondary school setting.
Current research interests include:
- ongoing examination of the use of mathematical investigations with pre-service teachers;
- examining differing conceptions of mathematics, how these might impact on teaching, and exploring ideas for teaching mathematics from a constructive and creative perspective. This research stems from a concern for those learners who have been marginalised in their experiences of learning mathematics.
- professional support for primary mathematics teachers.
- pre-service teacher education
- Judy has also been part of a team that researched pre-service teachers' understandings and implementation of the New Zealand Curriculum document in their mathematics teaching.
Bailey, J., & Cowie, B. (2017). Developing student teachers’ awareness of maths across a teacher’s professional work. In New Zealand Association of Research in Education Conference 2017. Conference held at the University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Bailey, J., & Twentyman, H. (2017). The challenges of embedding problem-solving in a primary mathematics programme. In New Zealand Association of Research in Education Conference 2017. Conference held at the University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Cooper, B., Cowie, B., Furness, J., Peter, M., & Bailey, J. (2017). Mathematical reasoning and knowledge in initial teacher education (MARKITE): Mathematical reasoning and knowledge in initial teacher education (MARKITE). Teacher & Learning Research Initiative.
Cooper, B., Peter, M., Cowie, B., Furness, J., Bailey, J., Taylor, M., & Calder, N. (2015). Strengthening mathematical thinking and reasoning proficiency in primary teacher education: Leveraging the potential of a system innovation. In National Project Fund and Teaching & Learning Research Initiative Projects in Progress Colloquium V. Te Raukura – Te Wharewaka o Pàneke Function Centre, Wellington, New Zealand.
Find more research publications by Judy Bailey