Ms Judy Bailey
Researcher (Mathematics Education) - Technology, Environmental, Mathematics, and Science Education Research Centre Programme Co-ordinator (GradDipT Hamilton & MMP) - Office of Initial Teacher Education and Undergraduate Studies Senior Lecturer - Te Hononga School of Curriculum and Pedagogy
Mathematics Education; Teacher Education; Teaching
Qualifications: Master of Education University of Waikato Diploma of Teaching NZ Department of Education Bachelor of Science University of Waikato
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Bailey, Ms Judy||7742||jlbailey||TL.4.02||Te Hononga Curriculum and Pedagogy|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room
I am currently second supervisor for a student who is exploring how Tikanga Māori can be implemented appropriately in a secondary school setting.
Current research interests include:
- ongoing examination of the use of mathematical investigations with pre-service teachers;
- examining differing conceptions of mathematics, how these might impact on teaching, and exploring ideas for teaching mathematics from a constructive and creative perspective. This research stems from a concern for those learners who have been marginalised in their experiences of learning mathematics.
- professional support for primary mathematics teachers.
- pre-service teacher education
- Judy has also been part of a team that researched pre-service teachers' understandings and implementation of the New Zealand Curriculum document in their mathematics teaching.
Bailey, J., & Cowie, B. (2017). Developing student teachers’ awareness of maths across a teacher’s professional work. In New Zealand Association of Research in Education Conference 2017. Conference held at the University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Bailey, J., & Twentyman, H. (2017). The challenges of embedding problem-solving in a primary mathematics programme. In New Zealand Association of Research in Education Conference 2017. Conference held at the University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Bailey, J. (2017). Embedding problem-solving in a primary mathematics programme. Waikato Journal of Education, 22(4), 19-31. doi:10.15663/wje.v22i4.555 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11650
Cooper, B., Cowie, B., Furness, J., Peter, M., & Bailey, J. (2017). Mathematical reasoning and knowledge in initial teacher education (MARKITE). Teacher & Learning Research Initiative.
Find more research publications by Judy Bailey