Professor Margie Kahukura Hohepa
Associate Dean Māori
Bilingualism; Indigenous Education; Maori Education; Maori Language; Teacher Education; Teaching and Learning
Kaupapa Māori and Māori medium education and schooling; Māori medium curriculum, assessment, teaching and learning; bilingualism; biliteracy
Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA, DipT
Iwi: Te Māhurehure, Ngāpuhi, Te Ātiawa
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Hohepa, Prof Margie||7874||mkhohepa||TT.3.06B||Te Hononga Curriculum and Pedagogy|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room
Margie teaches in Māori education undergraduate and graduate courses and supervises honours, masters and doctoral research students across a range of Māori education topics. She has taught in primary school and kōhanga reo settings. Her field of research is also Māori education framed by Kaupapa Māori, with a particular interest in Māori medium education. Recent research projects have focused on Māori medium initial teacher education and on kōhanga-kura transitions.
Māori education; Kaupapa Māori & Māori medium education and schooling; Māori medium curriculum, assessment, teaching and learning; bilingualism; biliteracy
Sciascia, A., & Hohepa, M. K. (2018). He Kura Whakarauora pūrongo aromātai: He Kura Whakarauora Pūrongo Aromātai. Core Education Ltd.
Hohepa, M., & McIntosh, L. (2017). Transition to school for indigenous children. In N. Ballam, B. Perry, & A. Garpelin (Eds.), Pedagogies of Educational Transitions (pp. 77-93). Switzerland: Springer Nature.
Hohepa, M., & Paki, V. (2017). Māori medium education and transition to school. In N. Ballam, B. Perry, & A. Garpelin (Eds.), Pedagogies of Educational Transitions (pp. 95-111). Switzerland: Springer Nature.
Hohepa, M., Paki, V., Peters, S., Gilbert, T., Hawksworth, L., Olliver, D., . . . Hakaraia, T. (2017). Riariakina ō rongo hirikapo From kōhanga reo to kura. Teaching & Learning Research Initiative. Retrieved from http://www.tlri.org.nz/
Find more research publications by Margie Hohepa