Professor Margie Kahukura Hohepa
Associate Dean Māori
Bilingualism; Indigenous Education; Maori Education
Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA, DipT
Iwi: Te Māhurehure, Ngāpuhi, Te Ātiawa
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Hohepa, Prof Margie||7874||mkhohepa||TT.3.06B||Te Hononga Curriculum and Pedagogy|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room
Margie teaches in Māori education undergraduate and graduate courses and supervises honours, masters and doctoral research students across a range of Māori education topics. She has taught in primary school and kōhanga reo settings. Her field of research is also Māori education framed by Kaupapa Māori, with a particular interest in Māori medium education. Recent research projects have focused on Māori medium initial teacher education and on kōhanga-kura transitions.
Māori medium education, Kaupapa Māori education, bilingualism, biliteracy
Bateman, A., Hohepa, M., & Bennett, T. (2017). Indigenizing outdoor play in New Zealand: A conversation analysis approach. In T. Waller, E. Arlemalm-Hagser, E. B. H. Sandseter, L. Lee-Hammond, K. Lekies, & S. Wyver (Eds.), SAGE Handbook of Outdoor Play and Learning (pp. 530-542). SAGE.
Hohepa, M., & Paki, V. (2017). Māori medium education and transition to school. In N. Ballam, B. Perry, & A. Garpelin (Eds.), Pedagogies of Educational Transitions (pp. 95-111). Switzerland: Springer Nature.
Hohepa, M., & McIntosh, L. (2017). Transition to school for indigenous children. In N. Ballam, B. Perry, & A. Garpelin (Eds.), Pedagogies of Educational Transitions (pp. 77-93). Switzerland: Springer Nature.
Hohepa, M. K. (2015). Te reo Māori – He reo kura? (Māori language – A school language?). In C. A. Volker, & F. E. Anderson (Eds.), Education in Languages of Lesser Power. Asia-Pacific Perspectives (pp. 243-260). John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Find more research publications by Margie Hohepa