Dr Richard K Hill
Bilingualism; Education; Indigenous Education; Language/Literacy/Linguistics; Maori Language
Qualifications: EdD, MA, BEd, Diploma Teaching
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Hill, Dr Richard||7818||rihara||TC.3.32B||Te Hononga Curriculum and Pedagogy|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room
I am senior lecturer in the Faculty of Education at the University of Waikato. I trained as a New Zealand primary school teacher, and taught in bilingual and kura kaupapa Māori schools before taking up my position at the University of Waikato. I teach language and literacy papers and culture papers in the Initial Teacher Education programme at Waikato. I also lead the Master of Teaching and Learning programme. My research interests include the development of biliteracy skills in Māori medium education. I am currently conducting three studies into Māori medium students' transitions and partial immersion education, including a Ministry of Education-funded project into the transition experiences of learners from Māori medium early learning environments to kura, and the experiences of whānau and schools in the transition process.
Hill, R. (2018). What are the perceptions of Māori bilingual-educated families towards growing up and learning the Māori language?. In Sociolinguistics symposium twenty two. Conference held at the University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11941
May, S., & Hill, R. (2018). Language revitalization in Aotearoa/New Zealand. In L. Hinton, L. Huss, & G. Roche (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Language Revitalization (pp. 309-319). Routledge.
Hill, R. (2017). Level 2 Māori medium programmes: What are the perceptions of parents and students on this form of education?. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies. doi:10.1007/s40841-017-0088-x Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11977
Hill, R., Rameka, L., & Skerrett, M. (2017). Māori Medium Transition: Māori Medium Transition.
Find more research publications by Richard Hill