Dr Elaine Khoo
Senior Research Fellow
Computers and Education; Early Childhood/Early Years Education; Education Research; E-Learning; Learning Environment; Teacher Professional Learning/Development; Teaching and Learning; Tertiary Education
interdisciplinary research (engineering education, work-integrated learning), evaluation research
PhD, University of Waikato, New Zealand
MA (Psychology), Vanderbilt University, USA
BEd (Hons) (Major: Guidance & Counselling, minor: TESL), Agricultural University of Malaysia, Malaysia (now known as Universiti Putra Malaysia)
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Khoo, Dr Elaine||6260||ekhoo||TW.1.09||Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educat|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room
I have supervised PhD and Masters students, summer research scholars students and research assistants on various funded research projects at the University of Waikato. Students I am currently supervising are:
- Rick Whalley, EdD project title: Supporting indigenous virtual learners in Aotearoa/New Zealand’s compulsory education system through the articles of Te Tiriti O Waitangi (ToW).
- Florence Lyons, EdD project title:The role of digital technology in assisting the provision of equitable formative feedback to students in a Community of Learning.
- Elisabeth Wilson, MEd project title: Flipped Learning in Secondary Mathematics Education: A systematic review of the literature.
I have been invited to examine Phd and Masters level thesis within and outside of New Zealand.
Elaine's research interests include teaching and learning in information and communication technologies (ICTs) and online learning environments at the classroom and tertiary levels with particular interests in online learning communities and communities of practice as effective approaches in online teaching and learning environments.
I am a Senior Research Fellow at the Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educational Research (WMIER) in the Faculty of Education at Waikato University. I have research interests in teaching and learning in information and communication technologies (ICTs) including online and Web 2.0 based environments. My PhD research, focused on effective online pedagogies with particular interests in online learning communities, provides the ground for my interests. I have worked as a researcher on a number of externally funded research projects associated with these interests across the primary, secondary and tertiary levels. I have led/ co-led two externally funded and innovative projects that have extended understandings in this field. My interests also include participatory learning cultures and collaborative research, including work with the national and international Collaborative Action Research Network (CARN). One of my key life aspirations is to encourage teachers and learners to see the potential of different ICTs for enhancing teaching and learning and how they can realistically adopt ICTs to transform their teaching and learning practices.
I previously worked as a lecturer in Malaysia at Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) at the Faculty of Cognitive Sciences and Human Development. I had been Head of the Learning Technology Core research Group and Programme Coordinator for the undergraduate Teacher Education Programme as well as collaborated on a range of local and international research in effective ICT-based learning environments.
- Executive member, Association of Video Pedagogies (present)
- Executive member, Flexible Learning Association of New Zealand (FLANZ) (2014-2016, member since 2010)
- Co-chair, inaugural Learning Environments Special interest group (SIG), New Zealand Association for Research in Education (NZARE) (present) (NZARE)
- New Zealand Collaborative Action and Research Network (NZCA and RN)
- Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE)
- Australian and New Zealand mobile learning group (anzMLearn)
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Editorial board member for Video Journal of Education and Pedagogy
- Reviewer for British Journal of Educational Technology (BJET), E-Learning and Digital Media, International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL), Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET), Distance Education, Journal of Open, Flexible and Distance Learning (JOFDL), Waikato Journal of Education (WJE), International Journal of Inclusive Education, International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching(IJCALLT), Teachers and Curriculum, Early Childhood Folio, Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, GlobalLearn conferences (2010-2011).
- Guest co-editor for Journal of Open, Flexible and Distance learning (special issue from the DEANZ2016 conference, 2016), Guest co-editor for Computers in New Zealand Schools(CINZS) (special issue on Assessment and ICTs: Innovative practices and future possibilities, 2012)
- Invited reviewer: Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology and Distance Education. Invited reviewer: Journal of Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning (RPTEL) (Special Issue on Optimizing learning: Technology meets learning sciences), International Journal of Cyber Ethics in Education (IJCEE) (Special issue on Social Justice in eLearning).
Khoo, E., Cowie, B., & Ferrier-Kerr, J. (2019). Cross Case Site Visit Analysis: Report for the Retrospective Evaluation of Springboard Trust’s 2015 Graduates.
Zegwaard, K. E., Khoo, E., & Adam, A. (2019). Science and engineering graduate competencies and competence: Perspectives from students and faculty. In 21st World Association of Cooperative Education World Conference. Conference held at Cincinnati University, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.
Khoo, E., Ranger, G., Scott, J., & Peter, M. (2019). Analysing student interactions in a flipped engineering course. In S. C. Yi Wei, C. K. Mun, & A. Alphonso (Eds.), ASCILITE 2019 Conference Proceedings: Personalised learning. Diverse goals. One heart (pp. 470-475). Singapore: ASCILITE.
Mitchell, L., Kahuroa, R., & Khoo, E. (2019). Immigrant and refugee families constructing pathways to belonging through early childhood education. In Aotearoa Migration Research Network Seminar Series 2019. Hamilton, New Zealand.
Find more research publications by Elaine Khoo