Dr Laura Gurney
Adult Education; Arts and Language Education; Education Research; English; Language/Literacy/Linguistics; Languages and Literacy Education; Lifelong Learning; Professional Learning; Teacher Education; Teacher Professional Learning/Development
English as an additional language Spanish as an additional language
Qualifications: PhD, MA TESOL, BA (Hons) Languages and Linguistics, BA International Relations
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Gurney, Dr Laura||9563||lgurney||TC.3.24||Education, School of (SOE)|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room
I am a languages educator who specialises in the theorisation of language practice and languages in higher education. I am also an experienced translator.
Divisional Teaching Excellence Award 2019 recipient
University of Waikato Teaching Excellence Award 2019 recipient
As a PhD supervisor, I work predominantly in applied linguistics, languages education, and teacher learning and development.
Thy Canh Minh Phan, Doctor of Philosophy (2020)
- Thesis title: Professional learning in a Vietnamese university language teaching context: An inquiry-driven approach
Banchakarn Sameephet, Doctor of Philosophy (2020)
- Thesis title: On the fluidity of languages: A way out of the dilemma in English medium instruction classrooms in Thailand
Shazré Sarfraz, Doctor of Philosophy (2019)
- Thesis title: Rethinking formative assessment through peer observation and reflection: A case study of Pakistani ESL lecturers' cognition and practices
My research explores languages and language learning in higher education, multilingualism and languaging, and teacher learning and development.
Demuro, E., & Gurney, L. (2021). Languages/languaging as world-making: the ontological bases of language. Language Sciences, 83, 101307. doi:10.1016/j.langsci.2020.101307
Gurney, L., & Díaz, A. (2020). Coloniality, neoliberalism and the language textbook: Unravelling the symbiosis in Spanish as a foreign language. Language, Culture and Society, 2(2), 150-174.
Campbell, S., & Gurney, L. (2020). Mapping and navigating ontologies in water governance: The case of the Ganges. Water International. doi:10.1080/02508060.2020.1812268
Gurney, L., & Demuro, E. (2019). Tracing new ground, from language to languaging, and from languaging to assemblages: rethinking languaging through the multilingual and ontological turns. International Journal of Multilingualism, 1-20. doi:10.1080/14790718.2019.1689982 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/13126
Find more research publications by Laura Gurney