Mr Karaitiana KM Tamatea
Kaiurungi / Senior Lecturer
Education; Maori Culture/Tikanga; Maori Education; Maori Governance; Maori Language; Maori Research; Teacher Education
Iwi: Waikato, Rongowhakaata, Aitanga a Māhaki
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Tamatea, Mr Karaitiana||7814||mtamatea||TT.3.06||Education, School of (SOE)|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room
- 2011 - current: Matatū Aotearoa (Education Council) Monitor for ITE Māori medium programmes.
- 2009 – current: Kaiuringi of the Faculty of Education. Senior Management member and Mana whenua representative to the Dean.
- 2008 - current: Co-Chair of Ngāti Koroki Kahukura Iwi Trust.
- 1983 - current: Secondary school teacher in Bilingual and Māori medium programmes in English Medium Secondary settings.
Lecturer in Māori Medium and Māori Education papers in Undergraduate, Primary and Secondary Graduate Diploma and Masters programmes.
Most of my papers are taught through the medium of te reo Māori, in the Te Rōpū Tohu Paerua (Masters in Education Māori medium), the Secondary Graduate Diploma and the Kākano Rua (Undergraduate Māori medium) programmes.
The TEPC763 and TEMB321 papers are delivered through the medium of English as they are papers in the Primary Graduate Diploma and third year Undergraduate programmes.
Tamatea, K., Hohepa, M., Hawera, N., & Heaton, S. (2015). Ngā kaiako mō āpōpō: Waiho mā te iwi e kōrero. Waikato Journal of Education, 20(2), 17-26. doi:10.15663/wje.v20i2.202
Stewart, G., Tamatea, K., & Mika, C. (2015). Infinitely welcome Education pöwhiri and ethnic performativity. MAI Journal, 4(2), 91-103.
Tamatea, K., Heaton, S., Hohepa, M. K., & Hawera, N. (2014). Te Puni Rumaki – Strengthening Māori medium initial teacher education. In Te Kōhao o te Rangahau: Indigenous Research Conference. University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand. Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/8867
Hawera, N., Hohepa, M., Tamatea, K., & Heaton, S. (2014). Te Puni Rumaki: Initial teacher education for Māori medium classrooms in Aotearoa. In Le Centre des Metiers d’Art, Papaeete, Tahiti.