Dr Sashi Sharma
Language/Literacy/Linguistics; Mathematics Education; Statistics; Teacher Education
Qualifications: PhD Waikato, M.Ed Waikato
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Sharma, Dr Sashi||6298||sashi||TL.4.10||Education, School of (SOE)|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room
I am a senior lecturer in the Division of Education. My research is located in the intersection of mathematics and statistics with a particular focus on linguistic and cultural issues in the teaching and learning of mathematics and statistics. I have led a number of research projects that have used a combination of surveys, individual and focus group interviews and in-depth site-based case studies. I have extensive experience in classroom-based research with years 8 to 12 students and teachers. My work has been published in peer reviewed journals in mathematics education, statistics education and general education. Prior to this academic career I taught mathematics in New Zealand and Fiji. I work with a voluntary teacher education programme called RATA. The programme provides invaluable professional development for untrained teachers in Africa and India. I speak Hindi and English depending on the social context.
Dayal, H. C., & Sharma, S. (2020). Investigating probability concepts of secondary pre-service teachers in a game context. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 45(5). Retrieved from https://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4630&context=ajte
Sharma, S. (2020). Secondary pre-service teachers’ experiences of integrating statistical investigations in their curriculum areas. I. In 2020 Virtual Roundtable Conference.
Dayal, H. C., & Sharma, S. (2020). Probability concepts of secondary pre-service teachers in a game context. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 45(5), 91-109. doi:10.14221/ajte.2020v45n5.6
Sharma, S., Sharma, S., Jafri, M., & Cowie, B. (2020). Evidence reviews: Teaching and learning mathematics.
Find more research publications by Sashi Sharma