Dr Ian Bruce
Senior Lecturer - Convenor Applied Linguistics Programme
Qualifications: B.A.Cant; M.A.(Applied), Ph.D. Waikato; Dip.SLT Massey; Dip.T Christchurch; KDS Munich; CTEFLA RSA/Cambridge
Language/Literacy/Linguistics; Teaching English as a second language/English as an additional language
Discourse analysis and in particular text and genre studies; academic writing and curriculum design; English for Academic Purposes (EAP); teacher training and pedagogy.
My area of research interest is the application of genre theory to investigations of non-fictional texts and their related discourses. I have undertaken studies of academic, business and journalistic genres. My research of academic genres has the purpose of informing language curriculum development and the teaching of academic writing, and specifically research writing, to students for whom English is an additional language.The theoretical basis that I propose for analysing and teaching academic genres are outlined in my book publications (2008 & 2011) and the related research studies - books at Ian Bruce, Amazon author page and citations here.
- Lee, Yee (Jocelyn) (2015) Analytical reading skills to engage and motivate ESL learners: A challenge to current pedagogical practices.
- Fester, Anthea (2015) Changing perspectives on syllabus design in ELT: Textbook trends and tertiary teacher decision-making.
- Ng, Miang Koon (2015) Teachers and students beliefs about the value of giving corrective feedback on academic writing: A case study from a Malaysian university.
- Jeong, Hyeseung (2014). Understanding second language acquisition in relation to intentionality, epistemology and cognitive process in an academic context: A realist perspective.
- Li, Shouji (2012) Different or similar: patterns of lexical cohesion in English and Chinese non-narrative text and their applications in the study of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language ? A corpus-based contrastive study.
- Ryan, Jonathon (2012) The development of pragmatic competence in reference in English as a second language
- Barbour, Julie (2008) A Grammar of the Neverver Language of Malakula (Vanuatu).
- Her, Jia-Huey (2007)The globalization of English : Its impact on English language education in the tertiary education sector in Taiwan.
Bruce, I. (2020). EAP and Expressing Critical Thinking through Text: Theory and Pedagogy. In LCSC 2020: Integration, Internationalisation ad the Individual. University of Leeds. Retrieved from https://www.waikato.ac.nz/fass/about/staff/ibruce
Bruce, I. (2020). Expressing Critical Thinking through Disciplinary Texts Insights from Five Genre Studies. Bloomsbury Publishing.
Bruce, I., & Ding, A. (2019). Countering commodification in EAP: The need to explore, innovate and transform. In BALEAP Conference 2019: Innovation, Exploration and Transformation. Conference held The University of Leeds, The United Kingdom.
Bruce, I. J. (2019). Influencing education policy in New Zealand through business think tank advocacy: Creating discourses of deficit. In 7th New Zealand Discourse Conference. Conference held Massey University, Wellington, New Zealand.
View all research publications by Ian Bruce
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Bruce, Dr Ian||9338||ibruce||I.3.09||Linguistics/Applied Linguistics|