The Waikato Cardio-Thoracic Surgical Unit is one of the busiest in Australasia. It is led by Honorary Professor Adam El Gamel who is an international expert on valvular heart disease and Mr David McCormack is Clinical Director with an interest in surgical training.
The unit has a range of research activities underway, including work with the Division of Health, Engineering, Computing and Science. The aim is to build the foremost research and training centre for cardio-thoracic surgery in Australasia, in conjunction with the University of Waikato.
- El Gamel A. Medical 3D Printing. Is This Just The Beginning? Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Oct;28(10):1457-1458. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.08.004.
- El Gamel A, Cochrane AD.. On and Off Pump: The Marriage of Opposites With Potential Long-Term Rewards. Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Aug;28(8):1141-1143. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.05.173.
- El Gamel A. Sternal Closure: The Elusive Holy Grail. Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Mar;28(3):358-359. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.01.003.
- El Gamel A. Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Wrapping: The Renaissance of an Old Technique. Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Dec;28(12):1770-1772. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.10.003.
- El Gamel A. The Destructive Power of Microorganisms: Aortic Root Endocarditis Continues to Be a Threat to the Patient and a Challenge for the Surgeon. Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Jul;28(7):984-985. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.05.002.
- El Gamel A. Minimal Access Aortic Root Surgery: An "Elite Sport" or Is it for Everyone? Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Dec;28(12):1767-1769. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.10.002.