Senior Lecturer (Law)
Qualifications: BA LLB MJur (Dist)
Brenda Midson graduated BA in English in 1988, LLB in 1995 and MJur(Dist) in 1996. She began lecturing at Te Piringa - Faculty of Law in 1997.
In June 2007, Brenda was one of the first women to participate in the New Zealand Women in Leadership Programme, sponsored by the New Zealand Vice-Chancellors’ Committee. Arising out of that participation, she is a member of the L-SHIP research team, comprising 6 women from NZ tertiary institutions, involved in ongoing research on what helps women develop as leaders in universities.
Brenda's administrative contributions to the Faculty have included the role of Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programmes. She has served on the Academic Board and other university-wide committees. She is currently the Faculty’s Chief Examiner. Brenda is also the General Editor of the New Zealand Law Journal.
Papers I Teach
- Criminal Law & Evidence
Brenda's research interests predominantly include evidentiary and criminal law reform, particularly in relation to homicide, sexual assault, youth crime, and children's rights and welfare.
Brenda has produced a number of publications on topics including evidentiary issues in sexual assault cases, liability for accidental childhood deaths, and child homicide, along with texts in Criminal Law and Evidence.
Midson, B. R. (2017). Communicative consent. New Zealand Law Journal, (4), 115.
Midson, B. R. (2017). Accuracy, relevance, clarity. New Zealand Law Journal, (2), 35.
Midson, B. R. (2017). Charities update. New Zealand Law Journal, (3), 77.
Midson, B. R. (2017). For whom the road tolls. New Zealand Law Journal, (1), 1.
Find more research publications by Brenda Midson
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Midson, Ms Brenda||8959||midsonb||N.5.11||Law, Faculty of|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room