Māori Liaison Coordinator / Kaitakawaenga Māori
Mariarna Te Tai email@example.com
E ngā mātāwaka nō ngā tōpito o te motu, tēnā rā koutou katoa!
My name is Mariarna Te Tai. I am a Kura Kaupapa graduate, who recently completed a conjoint in Law, and a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Te Reo.
I firmly believe that as Māori we experience, learn, think, and act differently to other cultures. This may be attributed to our history, our culture, our identity, and our diverse experiences. These are all point of differences which should be explored, nurtured, and celebrated so that Māori law students feel comfortable in their learning environment.
As Kaitakawaenga Māori I'm here to:
- Help with academic issues that Māori law students may have including issues with enrolment procedures and enrolment options, lecturers, courses, assignments, tests, exams, legal writing difficulties, reading difficulties and study difficulties and any other academic support.
- Organise extra tutorials, workshops, study wananga etc. to aid with this. Work with academic and general staff of Te Piringa - Faculty of Law in providing a supportive environment for Māori law students
- Publicise and promote the services of the Kaitakawaenga Māori and other support services on campus to Māori law students
- Develop external networks with private, public, iwi and other organizations and individuals that create employment opportunities for Māori law graduates
- Promote and support initiatives designed to facilitate the expression of tikanga Māori and te reo Māori by students and staff within Te Piringa - Faculty of Law
- Develop and administer initiatives designed to maximize opportunities for Māori students in Te Piringa - Faculty of Law to attain their degrees
- To assist with marketing and recruitment initiatives targeting Māori school leavers
- Distribute scholarship/grant information relevant to Māori law students.
I also coordinate the Māori Mentoring programme in Te Piringa - Faculty of Law. You can contact me via email, phone 838 4466 extension 6025, or visit my office at LAW.G.20 in Te Piringa - Faculty of Law.