Māori Liaison Coordinator / Kaitakawaenga Māori
Liana Kaiwai [email protected]
Ko Liana Kaiwai tōku ingoa. He uri ahau nō te waka o Horouta. Ko Hikurangi te maunga. Ko waiapu te awa. Ko Ngāti Porou te Iwi. Ngā mihi mahana ki a koutou katoa!
I believe that we as Māori have the solutions to facilitate excellence and prosperity within our own learning environments and everyday lives. Our solutions are unique because our experiences are unique. I have seen first-hand how applying a holistic approach to learning, as is natural in te Ao Māori, benefits our tauira at all stages of their studies. I am excited to continue creating this space for our tauira to learn, grow, and develop throughout their time with Te Piringa – Faculty of Law.
As Kaitakawaenga I'm here to:
- Help with academic issues that Māori law students may have including issues with enrolment procedures and enrolment options, lecturers, courses, assignments, tests, exams, legal writing difficulties, reading difficulties and study difficulties and any other academic support.
- Organise extra tutorials, workshops, study wananga etc. to aid with this. Work with academic and general staff of Te Piringa - Faculty of Law in providing a supportive environment for Māori law students
- Publicise and promote the services of the Māori Liaison and other support services on campus to Māori law students
- Develop external networks with private, public, iwi and other organizations and individuals that create employment opportunities for Māori law graduates
- Promote and support initiatives designed to facilitate the expression of tikanga Māori and te reo Māori by students and staff within Te Piringa - Faculty of Law
- Develop and administer initiatives designed to maximize opportunities for Māori students in Te Piringa - Faculty of Law to attain their degrees
- To assist with marketing and recruitment initiatives targeting Māori school leavers
- Distribute scholarship/grant information relevant to Māori law students
I also coordinate the Māori Mentoring programme in Te Piringa - Faculty of Law. You can contact me via email phone 838 4466 extension 6025, or visit my office at N.3.06 in Te Piringa - Faculty of Law.