Te Hononga-ā-Kiwa Māori Business Scholars Japan Study Tour
NACAPE 2019 Māori Business Study Tour
We are looking for up to 10 Māori business students across Aotearoa who are currently studying full time. Students must be in their final year of their undergraduate degree or higher. Preference will be given to students who have genuine interest in taking Māori business to the North Asia region.
The purpose of Te Hononga-ā-Kiwa is to improve Māori business capability, awareness and engagement in North Asia. A key focus will be cultural tourism and Indigenous products.
The Study Tour is a 10 day tour from 2 August - 11 August 2019.
Te Hononga-ā-Kiwa is organised into three specific parts. Participants are required to commit to attending all parts;
1. Student Orientation (24 June - 2 August)
6 weeks prior to the trip you will be immersed in a robust orientation programme that will allow you to prepare for your study tour. The orientation will aim to cover the following aspects:
- Background on Japan and the North Asia region
- Historic and current political and cultural realities in Japan
- Aotearoa and Maori Business engagement with Japan
- Japanese business trends and the growing market opportunities for Māori
- Introductory Japanese language support
- Business challenge preparation
- Orientation Day (2 August)
2. Study Tour to Japan (3 – 11 August)
Connect with Japanese and Aotearoa industry experts in-market, and experience ‘doing business’ in North Asia. Participate in presentations and site visits across Japan. Connect to key contacts that identify Indigenous business opportunities.
On the final day of the tour, you will present your business challenge findings to a panel. On your return to Aotearoa you will be invited to present your learnings with the wider business community.
All international flights, accommodation, visa and insurance associated costs are covered.
You are required to cover some meals and all domestic transfers.
Māori Business students across Aotearoa are invited to apply. To be considered for this tour, you must be:
- A full-time student studying business
- In your final year of your undergraduate degree or higher
- A New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Able to meet travel requirements for international travel
- Available for all dates associated with the Orientation, Study Tour to Japan and Presentation
- Able to demonstrate strong leadership potential
- Willing to take and share photos/videos of your experience and be available for follow up interviews in six and 12 months
- Committed to contributing to future programmes as a Tuakana (mentor).
How to apply
- Complete the application form
- Submit your video (see requirements for the video below) via messenger to Te Hononga-ā-Kiwa no later than 5pm, Sunday 9 June 2019.
A video (up to 120 seconds long) covering the following:
- What are the reasons for your interest in applying for Te Hononga-ā-Kiwa NA Māori Business Scholars Japan Study Tour 2019?
- Why are you interested in the North Asia region?
- Any current business involvement and/or business aspirations
- What benefits/expected outcomes do you anticipate as a result of your participation for yourself, your community and/or the University you attend?
- Tell us about your contributions as a leader, your experience and commitment to a kaupapa over time.
Successful applicants will be notified by email on Friday 14 June. If you are successful, you must confirm your place by Monday 17 June, providing all travel documentation and confirmation of your enrolment.
If you have any questions about the Te Hononga-ā-Kiwa Maori Business Scholar Study Tour application process, please call Natalie Lulia on 027 551 1847 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also visit the Te Hononga-ā-Kiwa Homepage for information on the other CAPE Opportunities.