Professor Ross A Lawrenson
Professor of Population Health, Medical Research Centre
Qualifications: MBBS; MD; DRCOG; Dip.Comm Health(Otago);FP Cert; DHMSA; FAFPHM; FFPH;FRCGP
With a background in general practice, public health and epidemiology my research interests are focussed on the interface between general practice and specialist health care. I have a track record in using large general practice data sets initially in the field of pharmaco-epidemiology, then in the field of chronic disease management (diabetes, cardiovascular disease and thyroid disease) and over the last ten years I have principally been involved in research into cancer outcomes and the role of primary care in cancer. This has included research into prostate cancer, breast cancer and more recently colorectal and lung cancer. I am a member the Ca-PRI network (The Cancer and Primary Care Research International Network) and a scientific advisor to PC4 (The Primary Care Collaborative Cancer Clinical Trials Group). Much of my research has been in the field of health equity – particularly trying to better understand the drivers of inequity for Māori. I have many years’ experience in working with Māori organisations and I have extensive links throughout the region and further afield. We have also researched inequities for rural populations and Pacific peoples. My research team uses a range of methodologies and is a very interdisciplinary group with expertise in statistics, health economics, qualitative research and kaupapa Māori methodologies. We also have extensive links with clinical teams including specialist surgeons, physicians and oncologists within Waikato and the wider Midland Region. We have active research links with the University of Auckland, the University of Otago and AUT and internationally with the University of Melbourne and Edinburgh. Our medical research group’s aim is to support clinical research with our key partner Waikato DHB. This includes our research into cancer, cardiovascular research (led by Professor Adam El Gamel), and diabetes research led by Dr Lynne Chepulis and Dr Ryan Paul. My group have published more than 50 peer reviewed publications since joining the University of Waikato and have brought in almost $4 million dollars of research funding. (see appendices: research publications and grants).
I have been a regular reviewer for a number of journals over the last six years including cancer journals such as the BMC Cancer, BMC Urology, British Journal of Cancer, Lancet Oncology, International Journal of Urology and Oncotarget and a number of primary care journals including the British Journal of General Practice, Family Practice, British Medical Journal, BMC Family Practice Journal etc.
190 articles, 3 book/chapters. Google scholar H index 33, i10-index 95, total citations 5767 (updated 2/7/20)
- Chepulis L, Morison B, Lao C, Keenan R, Paul R, Lawrenson R. The prevalence of mental health medication use in a cohort of New Zealand patients with diabetes. Prim Care Diabetes. 2020 Jul 25:S1751-9918(20)30226-6. doi: 10.1016/j.pcd.2020.07.004
- Lao C, Kuper-Hommel M, Laking G, Chepulis L, Lawrenson R. Evidence of inequitable use of chemotherapy in New Zealand colorectal cancer patients. NZMJ. 2020 (Accepted)
- Whitehead, J., Pearson, A. L., Lawrenson, R., & Atatoa-Carr, P. Defining general practitioner and population catchments for spatial equity studies using patient enrolment data in Waikato, New Zealand. Applied Geography, 2020;115, 102137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2019.102137
- Blackmore T, Lao C, Chepulis L, Page B, Lawrenson R. The characteristics and outcomes of patients with colorectal cancer in New Zealand, analysed by Cancer Network. N Z Med J. 2020 Apr 24;133(1513):42-52.
- Keenan R, Chepulis L, Ly J, Carter S, Lao C, Asim M, Bhat A, Deo S, Lim KP, Mohammed R, Scarlet S, Lawrenson R. Metabolic screening in primary care for patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder and taking antipsychotic medication. J Prim Health Care. 2020 Mar;12(1):29-34. doi: 10.1071/HC19023.
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Brown L, Moosa L, Chepulis L, Keenan R, Kidd J, Middleton K, Conaglen P, de Groot C, Aitken D, Wong J. Management of patients with early stage lung cancer - why do some patients not receive treatment with curative intent? BMC Cancer. 2020 Feb 10;20(1):109. doi: 10.1186/s12885-020-6580-6.
- Lao C, Lees D, Patel S, White D, Lawrenson R. Length of hospital stay after primary hip and knee replacement surgeries in New Zealand. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16(23), 4789; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16234789
- Nixon G, Blattner K, Finnie W, Lawrenson R, Kerse N. Use of point-of-care ultrasound for the assessment of intravascular volume in five rural New Zealand hospitals. Can J Rural Med. 2019 Oct-Dec;24(4):109-114.
- Lao C, Lees D, Patel S, White D, Lawrenson R. Geographical and ethnic differences of osteoarthritis-associated hip and knee replacement surgeries in New Zealand: a population-based cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2019 Sep 20;9(9):e032993. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-032993.
- Whitehead J, L Pearson A, Lawrenson R, Atatoa-Carr P. How can the spatial equity of health services be defined and measured? A systematic review of spatial equity definitions and methods. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2019 Oct;24(4):270-278. doi: 10.1177/1355819619837292.
- Lao C, Lawrenson R, Edwards M, Campbell I. Treatment and survival of Asian women diagnosed with breast cancer in New Zealand. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Sep;177(2):497-505. doi: 10.1007/s10549-019-05310-z.
- Chepulis L, Ryan B, Blackmore T, Burrett V, McCleery J, Lawrenson R. Characteristics of lung cancer patients receiving psychosocial support in urban New Zealand. Psychooncology. 2019 Jul;28(7):1588-1590. doi: 10.1002/pon.5137.
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Jacobson G, Seneviratne S, Scott N, Sarfati D, Elwood M, Campbell I. Outcomes in different ethnic groups of New Zealand patients with screen-detected vs. non-screen-detected breast cancer. J Med Screen. 2019 May 8:969141319844801. doi: 10.1177/0969141319844801.
- Nixon G, Lawrenson R. Guest Editorial: Failing to thrive: academic rural health in New Zealand. J Prim Health Care. 2019 Apr;11(1):4-5. doi: 10.1071/HCv11n1_ED2.
- Nixon G, Blattner K, Muirhead J, Finnie W, Lawrenson R, Kerse N. Scope of point-of-care ultrasound practice in rural New Zealand. J Prim Health Care. 2018 Oct;10(3):224-236. doi: 10.1071/HC18031.
- Cassim S, Chepulis L, Keenan R, Kidd J, Firth M, Lawrenson R. Patient and carer perceived barriers to early presentation and diagnosis of lung cancer: a systematic review. BMC Cancer. 2019 Jan 8;19(1):25. doi: 10.1186/s12885-018-5169-9.
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Ali A, Campbell I. Impact of radiotherapy on cardiovascular health of women with breast cancer. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2019 Apr;63(2):250-256. doi: 10.1111/1754-9485.12838.
- Millar E, Gurney J, Stanley J, Stairmand J, Davies C, Semper K, Dowell A, Lawrenson R, Mangin D, Sarfati D. Pill for this and a pill for that: A cross-sectional survey of use and understanding of medication among adults with multimorbidity. Australas J Ageing. 2019 Jun;38(2):91-97. doi: 10.1111/ajag.12606.
- White D, Lao C, Williams M, Lawrenson R, Dalbeth N. The Costs Associated With Ankylosing Spondylitis/Axial Spondyloarthritis in Aotearoa/New Zealand. NZMJ: 132 (1505), 38-47. 2019 Nov 8
- Latt PM, Tin Tin S, Elwood M, Lawrenson R, Campbell I. Receipt of radiotherapy after mastectomy in women with breast cancer: Population-based cohort study in New Zealand. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2018 Nov 15. doi: 10.1111/ajco.13101.
- Whitehead J, Pearson AL, Lawrenson R, Atatoa-Carr P. Framework for examining the spatial equity and sustainability of general practitioner services. Aust J Rural Health. 2018 Oct;26(5):336-341. doi: 10.1111/ajr.12471. Review.
- Nixon G, Blattner K, Koroheke-Rogers M, Muirhead J, Finnie WL, Lawrenson R, Kerse N. Point-of-care ultrasound in rural New Zealand: Safety, quality and impact on patient management. Aust J Rural Health. 2018 Oct;26(5):342-349. doi: 10.1111/ajr.12472.
- S Campbell I, Lao C, Blackmore T, Edwards M, Hayes L, Ng A, Lawrenson R. Surgical treatment of early stage breast cancer in the Auckland and Waikato regions of New Zealand. ANZ J Surg. 2018 Dec;88(12):1263-1268. doi: 10.1111/ans.14840.
- Elwood JM, Tawfiq E, TinTin S, Marshall RJ, Phung TM, Campbell I, Harvey V, Lawrenson R. Development and validation of a new predictive model for breast cancer survival in New Zealand and comparison to the Nottingham prognostic index. BMC Cancer. 2018 Sep 17;18(1):897. doi: 10.1186/s12885-018-4791-x.
- Millar E, Stanley J, Gurney J, Stairmand J, Davies C, Semper K, Dowell A, Lawrenson R, Mangin D, Sarfati D. Effect of multimorbidity on health service utilisation and health care experiences. J Prim Health Care. 2018 Mar;10(1):44-53. doi: 10.1071/HC17074.
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Brown L, Wong J, Middleton K, Firth M, Aitken D. Characteristics of lung cancers and accuracy and completeness of registration in the New Zealand Cancer Registry. N Z Med J. 2018 Jul 27;131(1479):13-23.
- Stanley J, Millar E, Semper K, Davies C, Dowell A, Mangin D, Lawrenson R, Sarfati D. The impact of multimorbidity on people's lives: a cross-sectional survey. N Z Med J. 2018 Jun 22;131(1477):78-90.
- Sharples KJ, Firth MJ, Hinder VA, Hill AG, Jeffery M, Sarfati D, Brown C, Atmore C, Lawrenson RA, Reid PM, Derrett SL, Macapagal J, Keating JP, Secker AH, De Groot C, Jackson CG, Findlay MP. The New Zealand PIPER Project: colorectal cancer survival according to rurality, ethnicity and socioeconomic deprivation-results from a retrospective cohort study. N Z Med J. 2018 Jun 8;131(1476):24-39.
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Campbell I, Harvey V, Seneviratne S, Elwood M, Sarfati D, Kuper-Hommel M. The impact of different tumour subtypes on management and survival of New Zealand women with Stage I-III breast cancer. N Z Med J. 2018 May 18;131(1475):51-60.
- Blackmore T, Lawrenson R, Lao C, Edwards M, Kuper-Hommel M, Elwood M, Campbell I. The characteristics, management and outcomes of older women with breast cancer in New Zealand. Maturitas. 2018 Jun;112:64-70. doi: 10.1016/j.maturitas.2018.03.018.
- Millar E, Dowell T, Lawrenson R, Mangin D, Sarfati D. Clinical guidelines: what happens when people have multiple conditions? N Z Med J. 2018 Mar 23;131(1472):73-81.
- Tin Tin S, Elwood JM, Brown C, Sarfati D, Campbell I, Scott N, Ramsaroop R, Seneviratne S, Harvey V, Lawrenson R. Ethnic disparities in breast cancer survival in New Zealand: which factors contribute? BMC Cancer. 2018 Jan 8;18(1):58. doi: 10.1186/s12885-017-3797-0.
- Elwood JM, Tin Tin S, Kuper-Hommel MJ, Lawrenson R, Campbell ID. Obesity and breast cancer outcomes in chemotherapy patients in New Zealand-a population-based cohort study. BMC Cancer. 2018 Jan 15;18(1):76. doi: 10.1186/s12885-017-3971-4.
- Brown C, Lao C, Lawrenson R, Tin Tin S, Schaaf M, Kidd J, Allan-Moetaua A, Herman J, Raamsroop R, Campbell I, et al. Characteristics of and differences between Pasifika women and New Zealand European women diagnosed with breast cancer in New Zealand NZMJ Dec 2017130(1467):50-61 15.
- Wang A, Karunasinghe N, Plank L, Zhu S, Osborne S, Bishop K, Brown C, Schwass T, Masters J, Holmes M, Huang R, Keven C, Ferguson L, Lawrenson R. Effect of Androgen Deprivation Therapy on Bone Mineral Density in a Prostate Cancer Cohort in New Zealand: A Pilot Study. Clin Med Insights Oncol. 2017 Oct 9;11:1179554917733449
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Campbell I, Harvey V, Seneviratne S, Edwards M, Elwood M, Scott N, Kidd J, Sarfati D, Kuper-Hommel M. Treatment and survival disparities by ethnicity in New Zealand women with stage I-III breast cancer tumour subtypes. Cancer Causes Control. 2017 Dec;28(12):1417-1427. doi: 10.1007/s10552-017-0969-9
- Kool B, Ameratunga S, Scott N, Lawrenson R, Christey G. The epidemiology of work-related injury admissions to hospitals in the Midland region of New Zealand. Injury. Nov 201748(11):2478-2484
- Huggan PJ, Bell A, Waetford J, Obertova Z, Lawrenson R. Evidence of High Mortality and Increasing Burden of Sepsis in a Regional Sample of the New Zealand population. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017 Aug 24;4(3):ofx106. doi: 10.1093/ofid/ofx106
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Campbell I, Harvey V, Brown C, Seneviratne S, Edwards M, Elwood M, Kuper-Hommel M. The use of trastuzumab in New Zealand women with breast cancer. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2018 Apr;14(2):e152-e160. doi: 10.1111/ajco.12766. Epub 2017 Aug 30.
- Lao C, Edlin R, Rouse P, Brown C, Holmes M, Gilling P, Lawrenson R. The cost-effectiveness of active surveillance compared to watchful waiting and radical prostatectomy for low risk localised prostate cancer. BMC Cancer. 2017 Aug 8;17(1):529. doi: 10.1186/s12885-017-3522-z.
- Edwards MJ, Campbell ID, Lawrenson RA, Kuper-Hommel MJ. Influence of comorbidity on chemotherapy use for early breast cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017 Aug;165(1):17-39. doi: 10.1007/s10549-017-4295-4
- O'Shea C, McClintock J, Lawrenson R. The prevalence of diabetic foot disease in the Waikato region Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 017 Jul;129:79-85. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2017.04.020.
- Signal L, Semper K, Stairmand J, Davies C, Millar E, Dowell T, Lawrenson R, Mangin D, Sarfati D. A walking stick in one hand and a chainsaw in the other: patients' perspectives of living with multimorbidity. N Z Med J. 2017 May 12;130(1455):65-76.
- Lawrenson R, Town GI, Strasser R, Strasser S, McKimm J, Tapsell R, Murray N. The proposal for a third medical school in New Zealand: a community-engaged graduate entry medical program. N Z Med J. 2017 Apr 7;130(1453):63-70.
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Campbell I, Harvey V, Seneviratne S, Edwards M, Elwood M, Scott N, Kidd J, Sarfati D, et al. Treatment and survival disparities by ethnicity in New Zealand women with stage I–III breast cancer tumour subtypes. Cancer Causes & Control 2017 Dec;28(12):1417-1427. doi: 10.1007/s10552-017-0969-9.
- Tin Tin S, Elwood JM, Lawrenson R, Campbell I. Missing data on body mass index in a breast cancer register: how is it associated with patient characteristics and clinical outcomes? N Z Med J. 2017 Mar 3;130(1451):21-29
- Seneviratne S, Campbell I, Scott N, Lawrenson R. A cohort study of ethnic differences in use of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation therapy for breast cancer in New Zealand. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017 Jan 21;17(1):64. doi: 10.1186/s12913-017-2027-4.
- Htun HW, Elwood JM, Ioannides SJ, Fishman T, Lawrenson R. Investigations and referral for suspected cancer in primary care in New Zealand-A survey linked to the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2017 May;26(3)
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Elwood M, Brown C, Sarfati D, Campbell I. Urban Rural Differences in Breast Cancer in New Zealand. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016 Oct 11;13(10). pii: E1000.
- Gibbons V, Lancaster G, Gosman K, Lawrenson R. Rural women's perspectives of maternity services in the Midland Region of New Zealand. J Prim Health Care. 2016 Sep;8(3):220-226. doi: 10.1071/HC15051.
- Firth MJ, Sharples KJ, Hinder VA, Macapagal J, Sarfati D, Derrett SL, Hill AG, Brown C, Reid PM, Lawrenson RA, Atmore C, Keating JP, Jeffery M, Secker AH, De Groot C, Jackson CG, Findlay MP. Methods of a national colorectal cancer cohort study: the PIPER Project. N Z Med J. 2016 Aug 19;129(1440):25-36.
- Fearnley D, Lawrenson R, Nixon G. 'Poorly defined': unknown unknowns in New Zealand Rural Health. N Z Med J. 2016 Aug 5;129(1439):77-81.
- Lawrenson R, Reid J, Nixon G, Laurenson A. The New Zealand Rural Hospital Doctors Workforce Survey 2015. N Z Med J. 2016 May 6;129(1434):9-16.
- Seneviratne S, Lawrenson R, Harvey V, Ramsaroop R, Elwood M, Scott N, Sarfati D, Campbell I. Stage of breast cancer at diagnosis in New Zealand: impacts of socio-demographic factors, breast cancer screening and biology. BMC Cancer. 2016 Feb 19;16(1):129
- Tin Tin S, Elwood JM, Lawrenson R, Campbell I, Harvey V, Seneviratne S. Differences in Breast Cancer Survival between Public and Private Care in New Zealand: Which Factors Contribute? PLoS One. 2016 Apr 7;11(4):e0153206.
- Lao C, Obertová Z, Brown C, Scott N, Edlin R, Gilling P, Holmes M, Tyrie L, Lawrenson R. Differences in survival between Māori and New Zealand Europeans with prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2016 Mar;25(2):262-8.
- Lawrenson R, Seneviratne S, Scott N, Peni T, Brown C, Campbell I. Breast cancer inequities between Māori and non-Māori women in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2016 Mar;25(2):225-30. doi: 10.1111/ecc.12473. Review.
- Obertová Z, Hodgson F, Scott-Jones J, Brown C, Lawrenson R. Rural-Urban Differences in Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Screening and Its Outcomes in New Zealand. J Rural Health. 2015 Jul 14.
- Seneviratne S, Campbell I, Scott N, Shirley R, Peni T, Lawrenson R. Ethnic differences in breast cancer survival in New Zealand: contributions of differences in screening, treatment, tumor biology, demographics and comorbidities. Cancer Causes Control. 2015 Dec;26(12):1813-24
- Brown C, Hodgson F, Obertova Z, Holmes M, Lawrenson R. The patient perspective on a first raised PSA test. J Primary Health Care 2015;7(3):213–220
- Wang A, Obertová Z, Brown C, Karunasinghe N, Bishop K, Ferguson L, Lawrenson R. Risk of fracture in men with prostate cancer on androgen deprivation therapy: a population-based cohort study in New Zealand. BMC Cancer. 2015 Nov 2;15:837.134.
- Scott N, Lawrenson R. Potential for health gain equity. N Z Med J. 2015 May 29;128(1415) 10-4
- Seneviratne S, Lawrenson R, Scott N, Kim B, Shirley R, Campbell I. Breast cancer biology and ethnic disparities in breast cancer mortality in New Zealand: a cohort study. PLoS One. 2015 Apr 7;10(4)
- Lawrenson R, Logie J, Marks C. Risk of colorectal cancer in general practice patients presenting with rectal bleeding, change in bowel habit or anaemia. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2006; Jul;15(3):267-71.
- Seneviratne SA, Campbell ID, Scott N, Lawrenson RA, Shirley R, Elwood JM. Risk factors associated with mortality from breast cancer in Waikato, New Zealand: a case-control study. Public Health. 2015 May;129(5):549-54
- Seneviratne S, Scott N, Lawrenson R, Campbell I. Ethnic, socio-demographic and socio-economic differences in surgical treatment of breast cancer in New Zealand. ANZ J Surg. 2015 Feb 23. doi: 10.1111/ans.13011
- Lao C, Brown C, Rouse P, Edlin R, Lawrenson R. Economic evaluation of prostate cancer screening: a systematic review. Future Oncol. 2015 Feb;11(3):467-77.
- Seneviratne S, Campbell I, Scott N, Coles C, Lawrenson R. Treatment delay for Māori women with breast cancer in New Zealand. Ethn Health. 2015;20(2):178-93
- Seneviratne S, Campbell I, Scott N, Shirley R, Lawrenson R. Impact of mammographic screening on ethnic and socioeconomic inequities in breast cancer stage at diagnosis and survival in New Zealand: a cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2015 Jan 31;15(1):46
- Seneviratne S, Campbell I, Scott N, Kuper-Hommel M, Kim B, Pillai A, Lawrenson R. Adherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy: Is it a factor for ethnic differences in breast cancer outcomes in New Zealand? Breast. 2015 Feb;24(1):62-7
- Obertová Z, Lawrenson R, Scott N, Holmes M, Brown C, Lao C, Tyrie L, Gilling P. Treatment modalities for Māori and New Zealand European men with localised prostate cancer. Int J Clin Oncol. 2015 Jan 6.
- Lawrenson R, Lao C, Obertová Z, Brown C, Holmes M, Tyrie L, Scott N, Fong P, Laking G. Management and Characteristics of Patients with Metastatic Prostate Cancer in a Cohort of New Zealand Men. Oncology. 2014 Nov 15;88(3):157-163
- Seneviratne S, Campbell I, Scott N, Kuper-Hommel M, Round G, Lawrenson R. Ethnic differences in timely adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation therapy for breast cancer in New Zealand: a cohort study. BMC Cancer. 2014 Nov 18;14:839.
- Lawrenson R, Gibbons V, Nair P, Keenan R, Lack L, Harford C, Porter D, Das Z, Hussain H, Varma R, Fernandes R. Polycystic ovary syndrome: a review of cases from general practice. J Prim Health Care. 2014 Dec 1;6(4):328-30.
- Obertová Z, Scott N, Brown C, Stewart A, Lawrenson R. Survival disparities between Māori and non-Māori men with prostate cancer in New Zealand. BJU Int. 2014 Aug 14.
- Obertová Z, Scott N, Brown C, Hodgson F, Stewart A, Holmes M, Lawrenson R. Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening and follow-up investigations in Māori and non-Māori men in New Zealand. BMC Fam Pract. 2014; 15(1):145
- Seneviratne S, Campbell I, Scott N, Shirley R, Peni T, Lawrenson R. Accuracy and completeness of the New Zealand Cancer Registry for staging of invasive breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol. 2014;38(5):638-44.
- Lawrenson R, Obertová Z, Brown C, Fong P, Tyrie L, Scott N, Holmes M. The Use of Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT) and Chemotherapeutic Agents in New Zealand Men with Prostate Cancer. J Cancer. 2014 Feb 14;5(3):214-20
- Lao C, Brown C, Obertová Z, Edlin R, Rouse P, Hodgson F, Holmes M, Gilling P, Lawrenson R. The costs of identifying undiagnosed prostate cancer in asymptomatic men in New Zealand general practice. Family Practice. 2013 Dec;30(6):641-7.
- Obertova Z, Lawrenson R, Hodgson F, Brown C, Stewart A, Tyrie L, Holmes M, Gilling P. Screening for prostate cancer in New Zealand general practice. J Med Screen. J Med Screen. 2013;20(1):49-51
- Keenan R, Amey J, Lawrenson R. The impact of patient and practice characteristics on retention in the diabetes annual review programme. J Prim Health Care. 2013 Jun 1;5(2):99-104.
- Lawrenson R, Waetford J, Gibbons V, Kirk P, Haggar S, Reddy R. (2013) Palliative care patients’ use of emergency departments. New Zealand Medical Journal, 126 (1372). ISSN 1175 8716
- Wall R, Bell A, Devlin G, Lawrenson R. Diagnosis and treatment of heart failure in Maori and New Zealand Europeans at the Waikato Hospital. N Z Med J. 2012 Jan 25;126(1368):35-44.
- Asim M, Cham A, Banerjee S, Nancekivell R, Dutu G, McBride C, Cavanagh S, Lawrenson R, Campbell I. Difficulties with defining lymphoedema after axillary dissection for breast cancer. N Z Med J. 2012 Mar 9;125(1351):29-39.
- Lawrenson R. Screening for aortic abdominal aneurysm in New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2012 Feb 24;125(1350):7-9.
- Obertova Z, Brown C, Holmes M, Lawrenson R. Prostate cancer incidence and mortality in rural men - a systematic review of the literature. Rural Remote Health. 2012 Apr;12(2):2039
- Hodgson F, Obertová Z, Brown C, Lawrenson R. PSA testing in general practice. J. Prim Health Care. 2012 Sep 1;4(3):199-204.
- Gibbons V, Lawrenson R, Sleigh P, Yarndley T, Conaglen JV. Investigating the pathways in primary practice leading to the diagnosis of central hypothyroidism. N Z Med J. 2012 Oct 26;125(1364):83-90.
- Theadom A, Barker-Collo S, Feigin VL, Starkey NJ, Jones K, Jones A, Ameratunga S, Barber PA; BIONIC Research Group.The spectrum captured: a methodological approach to studying incidence and outcomes of traumatic brain injury on a population level. Neuroepidemiology. 2012;38(1):18-29. doi: 10.1159/000334746.
- Connolly MJ, Kenealy T, Barber PA, Carswell P, Clinton J, Dyall L, Devlin G, Doughty RN, Kerse N, Kolbe J, Lawrenson R, Moffitt A, Sheridan N. National variability in provision of health services for major long-term conditions in New Zealand (a report from the ABCC NZ study). N Z Med J. 2011 Oct 14;124(1344):16-35.
- Sheridan NF, Kenealy TW, Connolly MJ, Mahony F, Barber PA, Boyd MA, Carswell P, Clinton J, Devlin G, Doughty R, Dyall L, Kerse N, Kolbe J, Lawrenson R, Moffitt A. Health equity in the New Zealand health care system: a national survey. Int J Equity Health. 2011 Oct 20;10:45. doi: 10.1186/1475-9276-10-45.
- Signal L, Firestone R, Mann J, Ni Mhurchu C, Lawrenson R, Murphy R, Schofield G, Sharpe N, Skeaff CM, Taylor R, Toomath R, Walton M. New Zealand's shocking diabetes rates can be reduced--9 urgently needed actions. N Z Med J. 2011 Aug 12;124(1340):89-92.
- Ghuman M, Rohlandt D, Joshy G, Lawrenson R. Post-caesarean section surgical site infection: rate and risk factors. N Z Med J. 2011 Jul 29;124(1339):32-6.
- Lawrenson R. New Zealand general practice should adopt population-based screening for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): no. J Prim Health Care. 2010 Jun;2(2):157-9.
- Lawrenson RA, Nixon G, Steed RH. The rural hospital doctors workforce in New Zealand. Rural Remote Health. 2011;11(2):1588.
- Lawrenson R, Joshy G, Eerens Y, Johnstone W. How do newly diagnosed patients with type 2 diabetes in the Waikato get their diabetes education? J Prim Health Care. 2010 Dec 1;2(4):303-10.
- Gibbons V, Conaglen JV, Lawrenson R. A raised thyroid stimulating hormone result-- a 12-month follow-up study in general practice. J Prim Health Care. 2010 Mar;2(1):29-34.
- Tesa P, Le Lièvre C, Lawrenson R. Why don't patients with diagnosed diabetes attend a free 'Get Checked' annual review? J Prim Health Care. 2009 Sep;1(3):222-5.
- Gibbons V, Lillis S, Conaglen J, Lawrenson R. The reality of subclinical hypothyroidism in general practice. J Prim Health Care. 2009 Sep;1(3):215-21.
- Lawrenson R, Gibbons V, Joshy G, Choi P. Are there disparities in care in people with diabetes? A review of care provided in general practice. J Prim Health Care. 2009 Sep;1(3):177-83
- Kidd J, Gibbons V, Lawrenson R, Johnstone W. A whanau ora approach to health care for Maori. J Prim Health Care. 2010 Jun;2(2):163-4.
- Lawrenson R, Smyth D, Kara E, Thomson R. Rural general practitioner perspectives of the needs of Māori patients requiring palliative care. N Z Med J. 2010 May 28;123(1315):30-6.
- Joshy G, Colonne CK, Dunn P, Simmons D, Lawrenson R. Ethnic disparities in causes of death among diabetes patients in the Waikato region of New Zealand . N Z Med J. 2010 Mar 5;123(1310):19-29.
- Joshy G, Porter T, Le Lievre C, Lane J, Williams M, Lawrenson R. Implication of using estimated glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in a multi ethnic population of diabetes patients in general practice. N Z Med J. 2010 Mar 5;123(1310):9-18.
- Lillis S, Gibbons V, Lawrenson R. The experience of final year medical students undertaking a general practice run with a distance education component. Rural Remote Health. 2010 Jan-Mar;10(1):1268. Epub 2010 Mar 11.
- Gibbons V, Lillis S, Conaglen JV, Lawrenson R. Do general practitioners use thyroid stimulating hormone assay for opportunistic screening? N Z Med J. 2009 Aug 21;122(1301):25-30.
- Smyth D, Farnell A, Dutu G, Lillis S, Lawrenson R. Palliative care provision by rural general practitioners in New Zealand. J Palliat Med. 2010 Mar;13(3):247-50. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2009.0097.
- Scott-Jones J, Young F, Keir D, Lawrenson R. Standing orders extend rural nursing practice and patient access. Nurs N Z. 2009 Apr;15(3):14-5, 38.
- Joshy G, Dunn P, Fisher M, Lawrenson R. Ethnic differences in the natural progression of nephropathy among diabetes patients in New Zealand: hospital admission rate for renal complications, and incidence of end-stage renal disease and renal death. Diabetologia. 2009 Aug;52(8):1474-8. doi: 10.1007/s00125-009-1380-1.
- Thomson RM, Crengle S, Lawrenson R. Improving participation in breast screening in a rural general practice with a predominately Maori population. N Z Med J. 2009 Mar 13;122(1291):39-47.
- Joshy G, Porter T, Le Lievre C, Lane J, Williams M, Lawrenson R. Prevalence of diabetes in New Zealand general practice: the influence of ethnicity and social deprivation. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009 May;63(5):386-90. doi: 10.1136/jech.2008.078873.
- Shawe J, Mulnier H, Nicholls P, Lawrenson R. Use of hormonal contraceptive methods by women with diabetes. Prim Care Diabetes. 2008 Dec;2(4):195-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pcd.2008.10.003. Epub 2008 Nov 18.
- Scott-Jones J, Lawrenson R, Maxwell N. Sharing after hours care in a rural New Zealand community--a service utilization survey. Rural Remote Health. 2008 Oct-Dec;8(4):1024.
- Gibbons V, Conaglen JV, Lillis S, Naras V, Lawrenson R. Epidemiology of thyroid disease in Hamilton (New Zealand) general practice. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2008 Oct;32(5):421-3. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2008.00273.x.
- Jayaraman C, Kennedy P, Dutu G, Lawrenson R. Use of mobile phone cameras for after-hours triage in primary care. J Telemed Telecare. 2008;14(5):271-4. doi: 10.1258/jtt.2008.080303.
- Mulnier HE, Seaman HE, Raleigh VS, Soedamah-Muthu SS, Colhoun HM, Lawrenson RA, de Vries CS. Risk of myocardial infarction in men and women with type 2 diabetes in the UK: a cohort study using the General Practice Research Database. Diabetologia. 2008 Sep;51(9):1639-45. doi: 10.1007/s00125-008-1076-y. Epub 2008 Jun 26.
- Joshy G, Lawrenson RA, Simmons D. Retention of patients in the Get Checked free annual diabetes review programme in New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2008 Mar 14;121(1270):35-44.
- Bennett H, Marshall R, Campbell I, Lawrenson R. Women with breast cancer in Aotearoa New Zealand: the effect of urban versus rural residence on stage at diagnosis and survival. N Z Med J. 2007 Nov 30;120(1266):U2831.
- Lawrenson R. Frederic John Mouat (1816-97), MD FRCS LLD of the Indian Medical Service. J Med Biogr. 2007 Nov;15(4):201-5.
- Hickey D, Joshy G, Dunn P, Simmons D, Lawrenson R . Glycaemic control and antibody status among patients with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes. N Z Med J. 2007 Sep 21;120(1262):U2732.
- Lillis S, Lawrenson R. Medical education into the future. New Zealand. Family Physician 2007; 34(4): 249-50
- Gibbons V, Devlin G, Speed J, Lawrenson R. The use of amino-terminal fraction brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) assays in general practices in Waikato, New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2007 Jun 1;120(1255):U2555.
- Mulnier HE, Seaman HE, Raleigh VS, Soedamah-Muthu SS, Colhoun HM, Lawrenson RA, De Vries CS. Risk of stroke in people with type 2 diabetes in the UK: a study using the General Practice Research Database. Diabetologia. 2006 Dec;49(12):2859-65.
- Lawrenson R, Logie J, Marks C. Risk of colorectal cancer in general practice patients presenting with rectal bleeding, change in bowel habit or anaemia. Eur J Cancer Care. 2006;15(3):267-71.
- Paul S, Kokossis A, Gage H, Storey L, Lawrenson R, Trend P, Walmsley K, Morrison S, Kaye J, Gradwell E, Baker M. A semantically enabled formalism for the knowledge management of Parkinson's disease. Med Inform Internet Med. 2006;31(2):101-20.
- Soedamah-Muthu SS, Fuller JH, Mulnier HE, Raleigh VS, Lawrenson RA, Colhoun HM. High risk of cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetes in the U.K.: a cohort study using the general practice research database. Diabetes Care. 2006 Apr;29(4):798-804.
- Carpenter TT, Kent AS, Lawrenson R. A systematic review to determine the effectiveness of medical therapies at causing disease regression in endometriosis. Reviews in Gynaecological and Perinatal Practice, 2006, Vol.6 (3), pp.161-167
- Mulnier HE, Seaman HE, Raleigh VS, Soedamah-Muthu SS, Colhoun HM, Lawrenson RA. Mortality in people with type 2 diabetes in the UK. Diabetic Medicine. 2006 May;23(5):516-21.
- Soedamah-Muthu SS, Fuller JH, Mulnier HE, Raleigh VS, Lawrenson RA, Colhoun HM. All-cause mortality rates in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus compared with a non-diabetic population from the UK general practice research database, 1992-1999.Diabetologia. 2006; 49(4):660-6.
- Brackenridge A, Wallbank H, Lawrenson RA, Russell-Jones D. Emergency management of diabetes and hypoglycaemia. Emergency Medicine Journal. 2006; 23(3): 183-5.
- Mulnier H, Seaman H, Lovell D, Lawrenson R. The increasing proportion of patients with type 2 diabetes converting to insulin therapy. Practical Diabetes International. 2005: 22(6): 202-6
- Lawrenson R, Nicholls P, Rivers-Latham R, Brown T, Barnardo J, Gray R. PIXI bone density screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Maturitas. 2006 20;53(3):245-51
- Clauss R, Mayes J, Hilton P, Lawrenson R. The influence of weather and environment on pulmonary embolism: pollutants and fossil fuels. Medical Hypotheses. 2005;64(6):1198-201.
- Lawrenson R. Sir James Mouat, VC KCB FRCS (1815-1899): winner of the first medical Victoria Cross. Journal Medical Biography. 2004 Nov;12(4):196-201.
- Ross Lawrenson. More audit of hospital activity is needed to improve outcomes for patients with diabetes. Practical Diabetes International 2004 Sept. 21(7) 246a-246b
- Bull, J Williams, P Nicholls, RA Lawrenson. Increased statin prescribing in patients with diabetes after the introduction of the NSF for Coronary Heart Disease. Practical Diabetes International 2003;20(9): 313-317
- Shawe J, Lawrenson R. Hormonal Contraception in Women with Diabetes Mellitus: Special Considerations. Treatments in Endocrinology, 2003; 2(5): 321-330
- Seaman HE, Lawrenson RA. Liver damage associated with minocycline use in acne: a systematic review of the literature. Practical Cases on Retinoid Therapy. 2002;3(1):20-21.
- Shawe J, Ineichen B, Lawrenson R. Emergency contraception: Who are the users? J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2001;27(4):209-12.
- Rowlands S, Devalia H, Lawrenson R. Use of the combined oral contraceptive pill by under 16s. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2001;27(1):17-9.
- Munro N, Feher MD, Lawrenson RA. 12 months post UKPDS and HOT: antihypertensive drug prescribing and achieved BP in Type 2 diabetes. Brit J Cardiology 2001; 332-336
- Lawrenson R, Williams J. Antidepressant use in people with diabetes. Diabetes and Primary Care 2001; 3 (3): 70-75
- Lawrenson RA, Logie JW. Antibiotic failure in the treatment of urinary tract infections in young women. J Antimicrob Chemother 2001 Dec;48(6):895-901
- Seaman HE, Lawrenson RA, Williams TJ, MacRae KD, Farmer RD. The risk of liver damage associated with minocycline: a comparative study. J Clin Pharmacol. 2001 Aug;41(8):852-60.
- Gibbs RG, Newson R, Lawrenson R, Greenhalgh RM, Davies AH. Diagnosis and Initial Management of Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack Across UK Health Regions From 1992 to 1996 Experience of a National Primary Care Database. Stroke. 2001;32:1085-1090
- Lawrenson RA, Wyndaele J-J, Vlachonikolis I, Farmer C, Glickman S. Renal failure in people with Neurogenic Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction. Neuroepidemiology. 2001; 20: 138-43
- Rowlands S, Devalia H, Lawrenson R. Preferential prescribing of type of combined oral contraceptive pill by general practitioners to teenagers with acne. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2001; 6 (1): 9-13.
- Nightingale AL, Lawrenson RA, Simpson EL, Williams TJ, MacRae KD, Farmer RD. The effects of age, body mass index, smoking and general health on the risk of venous thromboembolism in users of combined oral contraceptives. European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care. 2000; 5: 265-274.
- Ineichen B, Logie J, Rowlands S, Lawrenson R. Patterns of prescription of PC4 by general practitioners in England and Wales. European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care 2000; 5: 241-247
- Simpson E L, Lawrenson R A, Nightingale AL, Farmer R D. Venous thomboembolism in pregnancy and the puerperium: incidence and additional risk factors from a London perinatal database. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2001; 108: 55-60
- Lawrenson R, Farmer R. Venous thromboembolism and combined oral contraceptives: does the type of progestogen make a difference? Contraception. 2000 Aug; 62(2 Suppl): S21-8.
- Williams J, Lawrenson R. Diabetes in primary care: The role of MIQUEST in effective management. Diabetes and Primary Care 2000; 2(3): 84-88
- Lawrenson RA, Wyndaele J-J, Vlachonikolis I, Farmer C, Glickman S. A UK general practice database study of prevalence and mortality of people with neural tube defects. Clinical Rehabilitation 2000; 14: 627-30
- Lawrenson RA, Seaman HE, Sundstrom A, Williams TJ, Farmer RD. Liver damage associated with minocycline use in acne: a systematic review of the published literature and pharmacovigilance data. Drug Safety. 2000; 23(4):333-49.
- Rowlands S, Devalia H, Lawrenson R, Logie J, Ineichen B. Repeated use of hormonal emergency contraception by younger women in the UK. British Journal of Family Planning 2000: 26(3) 138-143
- Lawrenson R, Todd J-C, Leydon GM, Williams TJ, Farmer RDT. Validation of the diagnosis of venous thrombo-embolism in a general practice database studies. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2000 Jun;49(6):591-596.
- Farmer RDT, Lawrenson R, Todd J-C, Tyrer FC, Williams TJ, MacRae K, Leydon GM. A comparison of the risks of venous thromboembolic disease in association with different combined oral contraceptives. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2000 Jun;49(6):580-590.
- Lawrenson RA, Tyrer F, Newson RB, Farmer RD. The treatment of depression in UK general practice: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants compared. Journal of Affective Disorders 2000; 59(2): 149-57
- Britton EL, Lawrenson RA, Fuller J. The prevalence of depression in Turkish speaking patients in an East London general practice. Primary Care Psychiatry. 2000; 6:33-36
- Farmer RD. Lawrenson RA. Todd JC. Williams TJ. MacRae K. Oral contraceptives and venous thromboembolic disease. Analyses of the UK General Practice Research Database and the UK Mediplus database. Human Reproduction Update.1999; 5(6): 688-706
- Lawrenson RA, Williams T, Farmer RD. Clinical information for research; the use of general practice databases. Journal of Public Health 1999; 21(3): 299-304
- Tyrer F, Lawrenson RA, Farmer RD. A study of cardiovascular disease, depression and antidepressants on a computerised general practice database. Human Psychopharmacology 1999; 14: 233-7
- Ineichen B, Lawrenson R, Pierce M. Adolescent attitudes to breast feeding. Adolescent Health 1999; 7(5): 309-311
- Todd J-C, Lawrenson R, Farmer RD, Williams TJ, Leydon GM. Venous thromboembolic disease and combined oral contraceptives: A re-analysis of the MediPlus database. Human Reproduction 1999; 14 (6): 1500-5
- Lawrenson RA. Patterns of antidepressant prescription in general practice. Primary Care Psychiatry 1999; 5 (Suppl 1) S3-7
- Lawrenson RA, Leydon GM, Williams TJ, Newson RB, Feher MD. Patterns of contraception in UK women with Type 1 diabetes: a GP database study. Diabetic Medicine 1999; 16: 395-9
- Freeman GK, Meakin RP, Lawrenson RA, Leydon GM, Craig G. Primary Care units in A&E departments in North Thames in the 1990’s: initial experience and future implications. British Journal of General Practice 1999; 49: 107-110
- Farmer RDT, Lawrenson RA. Oral contraceptives and venous thromboembolic disease: The findings from database studies in the United Kingdom and Germany. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998; 179(3) Part 2:S78-86
- Gibbs RGJ, Todd J-C, Irvine C, Lawrenson R, Newson R, Greenhalgh RM, Davies AH. Relationship Between Regional and National Incidence of Transient Ischaemic Attack and Stroke and Performance of Carotid Endarterectomy. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 1998;16: 47-52
- Lawrenson RA, Leydon GM, Freeman G, Fuller J. Ballard J, Ineichen B. Are we providing for ethnic diversity in A & E departments? Ethnicity and Health 1998; 3(1/2): 117-123
- Tyrer F, Lawrenson RA, MacRae K, Farmer RD. Prescribing of antidepressant in cardiovascular disease: a study using a computerised general practice data base. Int J Gen Pract and Prim Care June 1998;
- Lawrenson RA, Coles G, Walton K, Farmer RDT. Characteristics of practices contributing to the MediPlus database and the implications for its use in epidemiological research. Journal of Informatics in Primary Care May 1998; 14-18
- Lawrenson RA, Newson RB, Feher MD. Do women with diabetes receive hormone replacement therapy? Practical Diabetes International 1998; 15(3):71-72
- Lawrenson R, Leydon G. Life after LIZ. Health Services Journal. April 30th 1998; 28-29
- Leydon GM, Lawrenson RA, Meakin R, Roberts JA. The Cost of Alternative Models of Accident and Emergency Care: A Systematic Review. Journal of Accident & Emergency Medicine 1998; 15:77-83
- Farmer RDT, Newson RB, MacRae K, Lawrenson R, Tyrer F. Mortality from venous thromboembolism amongst young women in Europe: no evidence for any effect of third generation oral contraceptives. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 1997; 51(6): 630-35
- Lawrenson RA, Rohde J, Bott C, Hambleton I, Farmer RDT. Trends in the need for services for people with learning disabilities: implications for primary care. Health Trends 1997; 29: 37-41
- Ineichen B, Pierce M, Lawrenson R. Teenage mothers as breastfeeders: attitudes and behaviour. Journal of Adolescence 1997; 20: 505-9
- Ineichen B, Pierce M, Lawrenson R. Jewish and Celtic attitudes to breast-feeding compared. Midwifery. 1997 Mar; 13(1): 40-3
- Lawrenson RA. Is opportunistic screening by general practitioners the most effective way to screen a population? New Zealand Family Physician. Feb 1997; 24(1): 35-39.
- Farmer RDT, Lawrenson RA, Thompson CR, Kennedy JG, Hambleton IR. Population based study of risk of venous thromboembolism associated with various oral contraceptives. Lancet Jan 1997; 349: 83-88
- Farmer RDT, Lawrenson R. Pill scares, an avoidable side effect. (Editorial). European Journal of General Practice Vol. 2 Sept 1996 99 -100
- Tyrer F, Hambleton I, Lawrenson R, Pierce M. Building a research data base from computerised general practice records. Journal of Informatics in Primary Care Sept 1996 8-13
- Farmer RDT, Lawrenson RA, Hambleton IR. Oral contraceptive switching patterns in the U K: an important potential confounding variable in studies of venous thromboembolism. European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care 1996 1: 1 - 7
- Farmer RDT, Lawrenson R. Utilization patterns of oral contraceptives in UK general practice. Contraception 1996;53:211-5.
- Lawrenson RA, Dunn PJ, Worsley D, Williams S, Jenkin K. Discover Diabetes: a community based screening programme for diabetic eye disease. NZ Med. J 1994; 107:172-4
- Lawrenson RA, Bohm G, Pandha H. A Study of Acute Admissions to the Medical Unit, Waikato Hospital of Patients with Respiratory Disease: A Quality Assurance Audit. NZ Family Physician 1993; 20(2): 51-3
- Lawrenson RA. Mobile Retinal Screening - A Waikato Area Health Board Initiative. N Z Health Hospital. 1992 Jul-Aug; 44(4): 4-6.
- Lawrenson RA. Current Practice in Neonatal Circumcision in the Waikato. NZ Med. J 1991; 104:184-5
- Lawrenson RA. GP Obstetrics: Te Kuiti 1971-80. NZ Med. J 1982; 95:279-81
Robb GH, Lawrenson R. Diabetes Mellitus. Brackenridge’s Medical selection of life risks. 5th edition. (2006) Editors Brackenridge, Croxson and Mackenzie. Publishers Palgrave MacMillan. ISBN 10 14039 06769
Lawrenson RA. Chapter on Endocrinology in: Khot A, Polmear A. Practical General Practice, 5th Edition - Guidelines for Effective Clinical Management . Butterworth-Heinemann. London. 2005
Farmer R, Lawrenson R. Lecture Notes: Epidemiology and Public Health Medicine. 5th Edition. Blackwell Publishing Ltd. Sept. 2004.
Farmer RDT, Miller D and Lawrenson RA. Lecture Notes on Epidemiology and Public Health. 4th edition (May 1996. Blackwell Scientific Publications)
Khot, A. Polmear A. (Chapter 8. Ross Lawrenson Endocrine problems.) Practical General Practice, 4th Edition. Butterworth Heinemann. March 2003
Lawrenson R, Wright D, Thomas A. Response to Dr Caleb Armstrong: proposed Waikato medical school. N Z Med J. 2017 Nov 10;130(1465):116-117
Signal L, Firestone R, Mann J, Ni Mhurchu C, Lawrenson R, Murphy R, Schofield G, Sharpe N, Skeaff CM, Taylor R, Toomath R, Walton M. New Zealand's shocking diabetes rates can be reduced--9 urgently needed actions. N Z Med J. 2011; 124(1340):89-92.
Rowlands S, Lawrenson R. Emergency contraception in the community. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 2002;28(2):94
Ross Lawrenson. Further data from the Surrey Primary Care Research Group
http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/322/7300/1463#15412, 2 Jul 2001
Chong PF, Seaman H, Golledge J, Gibbs R, Lawrenson R, Greenhalgh RM, Davies AH. Pharmacotherapy and outcome in intermittent claudication. British Journal of Surgery. 2001;88(4):619
Ross Lawrenson. Prescribing of trimethoprim for urinary tract infections in young women. http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/320/7242/1114#7846, 16 May 2000
Ross Lawrenson. Postmenopausal women with diabetes and cardiovascular risk
http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/319/7214/890#5044, 21 Oct 1999
Lawrenson RA, Whalley A, Simpson E, Farmer RD. DoH seems to have underestimated incidence of venous thromboembolism in users of combined oral contraceptives. BMJ 1999 Aug 7;319(7206):387
Lawrenson RA, Leydon GM, Newson RB, Feher MD. Coronary heart disease in women with diabetes: positive association with past hysterectomy and possible benefits of hormone replacement therapy. Diabetes Care 1999; 22(5): 856-7
Lawrenson R, Farmer R. Measles vaccination and Crohn’s disease - age specific prevalence’s do not suggest association with in utero exposure. British Medical Journal. 1998; 316(7146): 1746
Farmer RDT, Lawrenson RA. Oral contraceptives and venous thromboembolism. Lancet 1997; 349:733
Lawrenson RA, Pierce M, Tyrer F. Mortality rates in diabetic patients from a community-based population. Diabetic Medicine 1997; 14(10): 895
Lawrenson R, Farmer R. Oral contraceptives and venous thromboembolism. New Zealand Medical Journal 1997; 110: 63
Lawrenson RA. Health Promotion under fire. Lancet 1994 ; 344:891
Ross is Professor of Population Health at the University of Waikato and Medical Research & Strategy and Funding, Waikato District Health Board. He is a Board member of Rural General Practitioner Network and Pharmac.
Ross was originally a General Practitioner in Wairoa before moving to the Waikato where he trained as a public health physician.
From 2005 he worked for the University of Auckland before joining the University of Waikato in 2016. His research has been on improving health care outcomes through primary care. He has undertaken research in diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer – publishing more than 190 papers
Doctoral Education; Health; History and Medicine; Human Development and Education; Maori Health; Maori Research; Population Studies
Epidemiology, General Practice, Cancer, diabetes, primary care, public health, medical research, medicine, lung cancer, breast cancer, colorectal cancer, HRC, prostate cancer, nutrition, rural health,
My teaching activities include teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, course development and course management. I have taught undergraduate medical students for more than 20 year at Charing Cross, Imperial College and the University of Auckland. At the University of Waikato I have taught into the Population Health and Sociology programs.
I have regularly supervised research students at honours, masters and doctoral levels. I am currently supervising 2 Masters, 1 Foxley Fellowship and 3 PhD/MD students.
Current PhD/MD Students
2020 Kimberley Norman, Exploring the Lived Experiences and Barriers to Obesity Healthcare in Rural Waikato Communities from General Practitioner and Community Member Perspectives. University of Waikato
2019 Sandrine Charvin-Fabre, Homelessness and access palliative care in NZ. University of Waikato
2018 Jesse Whitehead, Geographical access to GP services in the Waikato DHB. University of Waikato
Current Masters of Health Students / Fellows
2019 Chloe Corbett, Factors determining ethnic differences in lung cancer survival outcomes in the Midland region. University of Auckland
2019 Dave Greenslade, To establish existing dementia prevalence rates within New Zealand. University of Waikato
2019 Rawiri Keenan, Cultural Competence and Equity focussed activities in Primary Care. University of Waikato
Previous PhD/MD Students
2018 Garry Nixon, Improving Access to Diagnostic Testing for Rural Communities in Aotearoa/NZ. University of Otago (MD)
2018 Janet Amey – The rising demand for health care: The sustainability of community general practice in the Waikato. University of Waikato
2017 Melissa Edwards, The influence of comorbidity on breast cancer care and outcomes in NZ. University of Auckland
2017 Alice Wang - Effects of androgen deprivation therapy on bone health in New Zealand men with prostate cancer: Can nutrient intake modulate these effects? University of Auckland
2016 Chunhuan Lao – Economic evaluation of screening and treatment for prostate cancer in the Midland Cancer Network region in New Zealand. University of Auckland
2016 Sanjeewa Seneviratne, Ethnic differences in breast cancer outcomes in Aotearoa NZ. University of Auckland
2015 Zuzana Obertova, The epidemiology and management of prostate cancer. University of Auckland
2013 Jane Morgan, Chlamydia trachomatis infection in New Zealand. University of Auckland (MD)
2012 Paul Timmings, Investigation of Change in EEG Photoparoxysmal Response as a marker of Anti Epilepsy Drug Efficacy: Modelled in Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy with Sodium Valproate and Lamotrigine. University of Auckland (MD)
2011 Steven Lillis, Use of diagnostic schema for mental health in general practice. University of Auckland
2011 Veronique Gibbons, Epidemiology of Thyroid disease. University of Auckland
2010 Grace Joshy, Linking databases to monitor and improve diabetes care. University of Auckland
2008 Henri Mulnier Mortality and cardiovascular outcomes in people with type 2 diabetes. University of Surrey
2008 Jill Shawe, Contraceptive practice of women with diabetes. University of Surrey
2006 Anna Brackenridge, A comparison of pioglitazone and rosiglitazone on lipid profiles. University of Surrey
2005 Tyrone Carpenter, Endometriosis. University of Surrey
Previous Masters of Health Students / Fellows
2017 Ahmed Ali, Radiotherapy and cardiovascular health of women with breast cancer. University of Auckland (Honours BSc)
2015 Claire O’Shea, Diabetic foot disease. University of Auckland (MHealSc)
2014 Poornima Nair, Patient Web Portals: Use and Impact. University of Auckland (MGP)
2012 Fraser Hodgson, PSA testing in General Practice. Journal of Primary Health Care. University of Auckland (MGP)
2011 Rachel Thomson University of Auckland (MGP)
2010 Andy Humphrey University of Auckland (MHealSc)
2010 Richard Wall, Pertussis (whooping cough) epidemiology in Waikato, New Zealand: 2000-2009. University of Auckland (MPH)
2009 Jo Scott-Jones, Standing orders extend rural nursing practice and patient access. University of Auckland (MGP)
2006 Hayley Bennett University of Auckland (MPH)
2007 Chandrakkanth Jayaraman University of Bath (MSc Informatics)
2003 Imran Rafi University of St Georges, London (MSc PH)
Previous Elective / Summer Students
2019 Christopher Mayo - Summer studentship project ‘Metformin Adherence in Waikato Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, and Association with HBA1C Levels’ (Nov 2019 to Feb 2020). University of Waikato
2019 Josh Fellingham - Summer studentship project 'Lung cancer project designing a website for improving awareness of lung health' (Nov 2019 to Feb 2020). University of Waikato
2019 Valentina Papa - Summer studentship project ‘The Role of the Microbiome in Women with Gestational Diabetes and its impact on both Mother and Child after Birth’. (Nov 2019 to Feb 2020). University of Waikato
2019 Nicola Paul - Summer studentship project ‘The Psychosocial Needs of Cancer Patients in the Waikato’ (Nov 2019 to Feb 2020). University of Waikato
2019 Dong Hyn Kim, The prevalence of cancer in general practice; a pilot study. University of Auckland (6th Year medical student, 10 week Elective)
2018 Christopher Mayo - Summer studentship project on Referral pathways for Waikato CRC patients – data from dendrite (Nov 2018 to Feb 2019). University of Waikato
2018 Neve McLean - Summer studentship project on diabetes (Nov 2018 to Feb 2019). University of Waikato
2018 Brittany Ryan – Summer studentship project on Psychological Support Needs of Patients in the Waikato with Newly Diagnosed Lung Cancer (Nov 2018 to Feb 2019). University of Waikato
2018 Elaine del-Mundo-Ramos – Summer studentship project on Psychological Support Services by Breast Cancer Patients (Nov 2018 to Feb 2019– this student was funded by the Waikato DHB) University of Auckland
2018 Nicola Rowe, Community Engagement in General Practice the Waikato Region of NZ (6th Year medical student,10 week elective 27 May to 2 Aug 2018). University of Flinders, Melbourne
2011 James Waetford, Palliative Care in Māori (funded by Waikato DHB). University of Otago
2004 Tesa Porter, Barriers for Māori with diabetes. University of Otago
2007 V Naras, Epidemiology of thyroid disease. University of Auckland
2006 Doran Hickey, Epidemiology of diabetes in children win the Waikato. University of Auckland
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Lawrenson, Prof Ross||6458||rlawrens||K.3.09||National Institute Demographic Economic|
|Lawrenson, Prof Ross||6458||rlawrens||K.3.09||Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room