New Zealand 2050
(An ageing New Zealand)
This research theme will look at how inexorable demographic shifts will affect the nation’s social and economic development over the first half of this century. Separate but overlapping projects will address the likely effects of age structural transitions (which are temporally differentiated both regionally and for New Zealand’s major ethnic groups) on:
- human capital investments and outcomes
- labour supply and demand, including the management of Baby Boomer retirement and the likely increase in labour costs and labour force participation
- linkages between technological innovation, productivity, societal engagement and wellbeing over the life cycle
- trends and patterns in health, morbidity and longevity
- future welfare demand and provision scenarios.