Living in Tauranga and the Bay of Plenty
The Bay of Plenty is a great place to be a student. As well as the relaxed beach lifestyle, the adrenaline-packed activities, the cafes, shops, bars and events, there are plenty of other students to hang out with at the campuses we share with Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology. The Bongard Centre is located in the CBD and Windermere Campus is located on the southern side of Tauranga, set in 24 hectares of trees and gardens. Our new CBD campus is due to open in 2019 and, even better, the study options we offer in the Bay are only set to grow.
While we share the Windermere and Bongard campuses, our programmes and classes are separate from the Toi Ohomai programmes. The University of Waikato in Tauranga offers a smaller class environment than most universities. Everybody gets to know each other and students can interact one-on-one with lecturers.
So choose Waikato in Tauranga – there's no stopping you.
What do to in Tauranga
Beach seekers and adrenaline junkies, you've come to the right place. The University of Waikato is close to:
- Fishing in the inner harbour and ocean adventures
- Kayaking and white water rafting
- Mountain bike trails in Tauranga and Rotorua
- Sailing for pleasure or join a local competitive crew
- Surfing and swimming on miles of beautiful ocean beaches
- Tramping and rock climbing in the Kaimai Ranges
- Whakapapa Ski Field
- Wind surfing and kite surfing on the inner harbour.
Relaxation seekers will enjoy:
- Al fresco dining and cafes by the beach
- Art and craft galore
- Hot pools and natural hot mineral springs
- More beautiful beaches!
- Swimming holes in the local rivers
- Walks – up and around the Mount, along the beach and around the harbour, in the bush and on the hills
From endless beaches to vibrant city life, Tauranga's got it all:
- Great shopping with minimal traffic
- Heaps of cafes, restaurants, bars and live bands
- Sporting venues with loads of provincial, national and international fixtures
- Theatre groups, galleries, music and more.
Every year the Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology Student Experience team puts on a week-long celebration – welcoming all Toi Ohomai and University of Waikato students – called Orientation or 'O' Week. During the day, activities include:
- Street Parade in downtown Tauranga
- Live music
After sunset the nightlife takes off as many of our bars and cafes turn it on for the students in downtown Tauranga.
Bay of Plenty events you won't want to miss:
- Bay Park Speedway
- BOP Steamers at Bay Park Stadium
- Dragon Boat Regatta
- Exodus New Year's Festival – Papamoa
- Garden & Artfest
- Kaimoana Festival
- Local fishing tournaments
- More FM Winery Tour
- National and international sporting clashes
- Raggamuffin Concert, Rotorua
- Rangitaiki River Festival
- Summer surf lifesaving national and international competitions
- Tarawera Ultramarathon – Rotorua and Kawerau
- Tauranga Airshow
- Tauranga Half Marathon
- Tauranga Food and Wine Festival
- The Christmas Lights Trail
- The National Jazz Festival
- University of Waikato and Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology Orientation Week
The Greater Bay of Plenty
Tauranga is 10 minutes from Mt Maunganui's fabulous beaches, Mauao (Mt Maunganui), great shopping and just one hour from Whakatane or Rotorua in the Eastern Bay of Plenty. Whakatane is renowned for its deep sea fishing and whale-watching, beautiful Ohope Beach and White Island live volcano tours. In Rotorua you can enjoy diverse cultural experiences, soak in the thermal spas or participate in a range of high-adrenaline recreational activities.
To the north, Tauranga is also close to the spectacular Coromandel Peninsula, which offers numerous opportunities for hiking, biking and adventuring with beaches galore.
Find out more about what the region has to offer: