Your first two weeks in Hamilton
This is your time to find your way around, make new friends, learn about the support services available to you and make a start on your studies.
What's happening on campus?
Throughout the year you'll find a range of activities and events happening on campus. Here are a few ways for you to keep up with whats happening:
- Orientation Week -Orientation is an exciting time to get familiar with your campus, make new friends, and get yourself set up for the start of a busy year. With a programme full of activities, introductions and free giveaways, you'll have everything you need to start your university journey.
- 'Student News' - finding it's way to your email inbox each week is our very own student newsletter.
- Nexus Magazine - your student magazine. Find copies of Nexus located at stands around the uni, or check them out online.
- Waikato Students Union (WSU) - from support and advocacy to student experience, WSU are here to make your time at Waikato a memorable experience.
- Social media - We're active on social media, follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat!
- For those that wish to play sport at a social level and meet like-minded people, join a team in the Social Sports Indoor & Outdoor Series.
- Cultural hour is every Wednesday 1.00–2.00 pm and is a time free of lectures and tutorials so clubs and societies can meet, and other University activities can be held.
- Clubs and Groups
- Volunteer to be a class representative. Your lecturers will be calling for nominations for these positions in the first few weeks of lectures. As a class representative, you will develop an understanding of the University, contribute to it, and meet new and interesting people.
What's happening off-campus?
If Hamilton is your new stomping ground, there are heaps of events and activities happening around the City for you to check out, here are some of our highlights:
- Nightlife - you'll find a range of bars and nightclubs in Hamilton's CBD.
- Love rugby? Hamilton is home to the Chiefs. Check out their next games and ticket info at FMG Stadium Waikato.
- The award-winning Hamilton Gardens is the Waikato's most visited attraction. Entry is free and it's open 7 days a week.
- Feed your creative side and visit Waikato Museum, with exhibitions changing regularly.
Need help or support?
If you find you're struggling or need help with something, we're here to help you get the advice and support you need. We've got lots of student services available so check them out and don't be afraid to ask for help.
Call 0800 WAIKATO or email us at email@example.com.