International Students are required to have medical insurance and this insurance pays the costs associated with most consultations and most prescriptions. Student Safe and Unicare insurers allow the Student Health Service in Hamilton to bill the costs directly to the insurance company, but other insurers require that the student pays the costs and then applies for reimbursement.
Please bring along evidence of your current insurance policy to your appointment, otherwise you will be required to pay and then claim back from your insurance company.
Some consultations are NOT covered by insurance and these include consultations for the following:
- any pre-existing medical condition – meaning anything you had prior to coming to NZ
- pregnancy care
- contraception / cervical screening / sexually transmitted infections
- travel vaccines
- minor surgery
These consultation costs need to be paid by the student at the time of the consultation.
Sexual Health Clinic in Hamilton offer free treatment to international students for sexually transmitted infections.
Immigration Medicals are NOT done at Student Health. They are ONLY DONE at the following clinics:
- Victoria Clinic Limited – 750 Victoria St, Hamilton Ph 07 834 0333
- Worldwise Travellers Health and Vaccination Clinic (Hamilton) Ltd – Gate 1, Consultant Suites, Anglesea Clinic, Cnr Thackeray and Anglesea Streets, Hamilton Ph 07 839 7761
- River Radiology for chest X-rays.
Students based in Tauranga are welcome to see the Student Health Nurse for free health care and advice.
South City Medical Centre is the medical centre that Tauranga based students are referred too. International students will need to pay medical costs, and then apply for reimbursement from their medical insurance company.
Clinic 2 is the Tauranga based Sexual Health Clinic that offers free sexually transmitted infection checks.
Immigration Medications are offered at The Doctors, Tauranga.