If you are unable to complete a paper for any reason, you can apply to withdraw from the paper. This will be shown as a WD on your record. WD is not a failing grade.

These time limits apply:
  • Withdrawn Full Refund (WDFR) - you may withdraw at any time during the first two weeks of a paper and receive a full refund of your fees.
  • Withdrawn (WD) - After the initial two week period, you may withdraw up to six weeks from the paper start date; however, you will not receive a refund of your fees unless there are circumstances beyond your control, such as an extended illness. In that case you can apply for compassionate withdrawal.
  • Incomplete (IC) - If you withdraw from a paper more than six weeks after it starts, you will receive an IC which is a failing grade.

If you are absent from classes or fail to submit items for assessment, you will not be automatically withdrawn from a paper. If you do not withdraw from a paper using the procedures outlined in the University’s Change of Enrolment regulations, you are considered to be still enrolled in the paper and you remain liable for any prescribed fees.


Exceptional circumstances

If, after the deadline for deletion or withdrawal, you consider that you are unable to complete a paper because of exceptional circumstances beyond your control, you may apply in writing to the Director of Student Services for late deletion or compassionate withdrawal. The application must include an explanation, with appropriate evidence if available, of the circumstances that prompted the application.

Before applying to withdraw from a paper, you are encouraged to seek advice from your School or Faculty/Division, or from the Student Centre, about whether you might be entitled to special consideration.

See also the University regulations and guidelines page.