Information for Successful Applicants


Only the Human Resource Management Division has authority to commit the University on appointment matters and all such commitments are confirmed in writing. The University reserves the right to make appointments by invitation. Offers are made subject to the successful applicant having the right to work in New Zealand or gaining it within a reasonable time.

Immigration Approval

In line with New Zealand immigration regulations, it is the responsibility of the appointee (if s/he does not have New Zealand or Australian citizenship or New Zealand permanent residence) to obtain the appropriate New Zealand or Australian Immigration Service approval to work in New Zealand. In the case of continuing appointments or appointments of more than three years, permanent residency will be required. For fixed-term appointments of three years or less a work permit or work visa leading to a work permit will be required.

Further information on New Zealand immigration policy.

Travel and Removal Expenses

Travel and removal assistance will be offered to an appointee and for agreed members of an immediate family (partner and dependent children) when the position is a continuing University funded position and the new appointee is normally resident outside the area in which the relevant campus is located.

In other circumstances the level of assistance, if any, is discretionary.


The University will arrange travel for the direct economy class air fare for an eligible appointee and agreed members of an immediate family and for surface travel at each end of the journey. If the mileage allowance for car travel exceeds an air fare then the air fare equivalent will be paid. Mileage is reimbursed at rates determined by the NZ Inland Revenue Department.

Freight of Goods

The University currently has a service level agreement with Crown Worldwide Movers who will initiate contact with the appointee and broker two or three quotes for the cost of removal. Acceptance of a quotation is at the discretion of the University.

Freight of goods expenses for eligible appointees are discussed on a case-by-case basis and agreed in writing as part of the terms of appointment. The University will not take responsibility for relocation costs incurred by employees in excess of the amounts agreed in writing. The University does not pay insurance, storage, customs import duty or other charges unless by special agreement in writing.

Settling-in Expenses Including Immigration

The University contributes to the costs of interim accommodation. This normally comprises half motel costs (or broadly equivalent assistance) excluding meals to a maximum of three weeks. The University will make a limited contribution to immigration expenses for appointees who need to obtain the right to permanent residence in New Zealand. Appointees will be reimbursed to a maximum of NZ$1500. It is recognised that this does not cover the full costs in many cases.


Evidence of payment is needed to support any requests for reimbursement. Originals of receipts are required.


An appointee who resigns within two years of starting work at the University will be required to refund the full amount of travel, removal and settling-in expenses. An appointee who resigns during the third year will be required to refund one third of the expenses.

Where can I get more information about living in New Zealand if I am moving from overseas?

New Zealand Immigration maintains very useful information about living in New Zealand, including our Health and School systems, at