Looking for a short-term study option? A certificate can help pave your way to future success, and is equivalent to the first year of study of a bachelor's degree. It's a great way to gain an introductory qualification in a field of study.
A certificate can be taken in any of the following fields of study:
- Arts - See Cert(Arts)
- Business - Cert(Bus)
- Design: See Cert(Des)
- Education - See Cert(Ed)
- Environmental Planning - See Cert(EnvPlan)
- Health, Sport and Human Performance - See Cert(HSHP)
- Law - Cert(Law)
- Management - See Cert(Mgt)
- Māori and Pacific Development: See Cert(MPD)
- Science: See Cert(Sc)
- Social Sciences - Cert(SocSc)
Choose a subject
- Applied Computing
- Design Media
- Earth Sciences
- Education and Society
- English as a Second Language
- Environmental Planning
- Environmental Sciences
- Human Development
- Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management
- International Languages and Cultures
- Materials and Processing
- Māori and Pacific Development
- Māori Cultural Studies/Tikanga Māori
- Māori Language/Te Reo Māori
- Māori Media and Communication
- Political Science
- Population Studies
- Public Policy
- Screen and Media Studies
- Social Policy
- Theatre Studies
- Treaty of Waitangi Studies/Akoranga Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Writing Studies
You will be eligible to apply for a certificate if you have University Entrance or its equivalent. For more information see entry requirements.
Scholarships and prizes
New to Waikato? The International Excellence Scholarship is worth up to $10,000.
Visit our Scholarship Finder for information about possible scholarships
Students of the Certificate must gain 120 points at 100-level or above, including 90 points in a single field of study.
Students of the Certificate must gain 120 points at 100-level or above, including 90 points in a single field of study. Students must also meet any relevant field requirements. Normally a certificate involves one year of full-time study.
Note: A candidate who has successfully completed papers for this qualification may apply to have them transferred to an undergraduate degree, before the qualification is awarded.