Add random questions
To make it harder for students to share quiz answers, you might want to create many questions in a Question bank but randomly draw just a few questions from it to populate your quiz. This way, it is unlikely that any two students will have the exact same questions, or at least not in the same order. We recommend that you create categories and questions in your Question bank before adding them to a quiz.
A. If you have already created your questions
- Select your quiz, then select Edit quiz.
- Select the Add drop-down menu on the right-hand side, and select + a random question.
- Use the arrows to select the Category where your questions are from the drop-down menu. Note: It is very important to check this drop-down menu and make sure the Parent category isn't a 'Top' category that sits outside your paper. This may make your questions hard to find.
- Select the number of questions you want to randomly draw from this category, in the Number of random questions box. To include questions in children categories, tick the Include questions from subcategories too box. Finally, select Add random question.
Note: You can also use the Edit quiz option in the edit drop-down menu (cog icon on the top-right corner of the quiz menu).
B. If you want to create random questions in a new category
1. Follow steps 1 and 2 above.
2. Select the New category tab, then give your new category a name.
3. Select the arrows to the right of Parent category to open a drop-down menu of available categories, and select one. Note: It is very important to check this drop-down menu and make sure the Parent category isn't a 'Top' category that sits outside your paper. This may make your questions hard to find.
Finally, select Create category and add random question.
- To draw random questions from different categories for the same quiz, repeat the steps above, selecting a different category.
- A question cannot be drawn twice, which means that if you draw more questions from a category than there are questions in this category, an error will appear when the students attempt the quiz (the same error will be displayed when you preview your quiz).
- See this guide for further help on managing categories