Student Visas

All international students must hold a valid visa to study at the University of Waikato.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your passport and visa is valid at all times.

There are different student visa categories depending on what you are studying. Visit the Immigration New Zealand website to explore all study visa options.

Applying for your student visa in New Zealand

New and returning students must apply for student visas through Immigration New Zealand. We recommend submitting your application at least one month before your current visa expires. To find out immigration’s current student visa processing times

Please visit Immigration New Zealand

Apply for your visa online

  1. Create a RealMe before you start your application and login from the Immigration NZ webpage
  2. Complete the INZ online application form.
  3. Upload your supporting documentation.

The processing fee for most students applying directly to Immigration New Zealand is NZ$410.

Refer to visa fees on Immigration New Zealand website.

Support documentation required

You will need to have the following documents

  • Proof of payment of fees: log onto MyWaikato, go to Finance tab and select ‘View my Receipts’
  • Attendance record: Attendance is recorded for students enrolled in English Language programmes and Foundation Studies only.  Please contact the College for your attendance record
  • Academic record: please log onto MyWaikato, go to Results tab and ‘Request your academic record’
  • Offer of Place and Enrolment Agreement : You can access both of these documents from your emails


Your passport must be valid for at least three months after the expected end date of the visa that is being applied for. If your passport expires before your course end date, then it is your responsibility to renew your passport and re-apply for a new visa, before your current visa expires

Police certificates

You must submit a national police certificate from your home country every 36 months. Police certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within 6 months from the date of issue.

For more information on obtaining a police certificate, please visit How to obtain a Police certificate on the Immigration New Zealand website.

Medical certificates and chest x-rays

Medical certificates and chest x-rays must be submitted every 36 months. There are some circumstances where Immigration New Zealand will require you to submit a new medical or chest x-ray within this time.

Medical certificates and chest x-rays must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within 3 months from the date of issue. For more information on obtaining a medical certificate or chest x-ray, please visit Getting an x-ray or medical examination on the Immigration New Zealand website.

Email your updated visa to us

For returning students, once you have been issued a new visa, please immediately send a copy to [email protected] so that we can update our records to maintain your enrolment. If you have a new passport you will need to bring this to the Student Centre in Hamilton or the Hub in Tauranga

For new students: please ensure you provide evidence of your visa and your passport to the student centre before the start of your programme of study.

Conditions of your student visa

You must follow the conditions of your student visa while you are studying in New Zealand.

These include:

  • Being enrolled in full- time study
  • Attending classes
  • Making good academic progress
  • Holding approved insurance from the date of your enrolment until your visa expires (unless you are a PhD student).

Go to the Education New Zealand website NauMai NZ for more information about student visa conditions and  working on a student visa 

Changes to your visa status

If you are granted a resident visa or a permanent resident visa while studying at the University of Waikato, you will need to bring your residency certificate to the administration desk on Level 2 of the Student Centre in order to have your status updated.

Your Studentsafe insurance will expire 21 days from the date your resident or permanent resident visa has been issued. As a resident or permanent resident you are eligible for publicly-funded healthcare in New Zealand.

Post-study work visas

Once you have completed your studies you may be eligible for a post-study work visa.

Applications for post-study work visas must be made directly through Immigration New Zealand. More information can be found on the Post-study work visa page on the Immigration New Zealand website

Student visa support

If you have any questions about renewing your student visa please email [email protected]

Student visa services are located at:

Level 2, Student Centre
University of Waikato

Student FAQs