The University of Waikato appreciates that you will have many concerns and expectations when your child leaves to study in another country. Choosing New Zealand is an excellent decision and we suggest that you become well informed about New Zealand and our regions.

The University of Waikato has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Ministry of Education. It is our aim to offer all areas of support to ensure our international students enjoy a positive, safe and memorable experience while they study with us.

Support available to your child

Study and student support services

We provide a range of study and student services to help our students wherever we can.


During orientation students will be given essential information to ensure their stay in New Zealand is safe, enjoyable and academically successful. We also have a guide with useful information your daughter or son needs to know before coming to New Zealand.

Students under 18 years of age

If you are a parent of a student under the age of 18 years you should also read the following information:

  • Students under the age of 18 must live in homestay or designated caregiver accommodation. Contact Accommodation Services for more information.
  • Students will be sent a letter to establish that appropriate accommodation has been arranged.
  • Students under the age of 18 will be supported by one of the International Student Advisers as required by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
  • The International Student Adviser will maintain communication links with parents and send a written report to them on the student's academic and social progress.

Apply to study