Violence Prevention

If you have concerns, or seek information/advice or support in relation to harassment, abuse, and/or violence, you can make an appointment to see the Violence Prevention Coordinator.

If a physical or sexual assault has just occurred, please ring 111 and ask for Police.

Referral process

  • Students and staff can make referrals to the Violence Prevention Coordinator by phoning (07) 837 9497 or emailing [email protected]. Room G.28.


The University of Waikato’s Violence Prevention Coordinator can discuss issues regarding

  • Harassment
  • Psychological violence
  • Emotional violence
  • Physical/sexual violence
  • Image based abuse
  • Spiritual abuse
  • Cultural violence
  • Financial abuse

The Violence Prevention Coordinator can provide you with

  • Information
  • Education
  • Advice
  • Support and advocacy
  • Help accessing services
  • Safety planning
  • Referral to see a medical professional, counsellor, Police (with your consent)

You are welcome to bring a support person with you.

NOTE: All sessions are strictly confidential. However, if there is reason to believe that you are immediate danger, the Violence Prevention Coordinator reserves the right to discuss any concerns with the appropriate service providers.

You can still report rape or sexual assault even if it has not just occurred. It does not matter if it was days, weeks, months or even years ago. You can call the Police directly, or you can visit their website for more information

Consent Matters

Students at the University of Waikato have access to an online module called Consent Matters. This module helps students understand what consent is, and what their rights and responsibilities are. The module only takes one hour to complete. For more information or to discuss the content in person, please contact the violence prevention coordinator. You can complete the module in Moodle.