Applying for an Academic Record or Completion Letter

Privacy considerations mean that the University requires a written request before staff are able to release an Academic Record or Completion Letter. You will need to either:

Please note that your record will not be released without payment of the associated fees. Please allow at least four working days between the receipt of the request and the posting of the record.

Your record can be mailed, faxed or couriered anywhere in the world (fees apply). You can also elect to pick it up from the Student Administration Counter at the Student Centre directly. If the latter, you will need to produce some form of photo identification before your record will be released.

Launch of My eQuals

The University of Waikato is scheduled to join the My eQuals digital platform in August 2018.  This will enable you to get certified digital copies of your records and share them with other institutions and employers. Read more about My eQuals here.

What is an academic record?Academic Record Image

Every student who has ever been enrolled at the University of Waikato will have the details of their academic achievements recorded in the University’s database. The official record of these achievements is called an Academic Record or Academic Transcript. This record details your entire academic history with the University, all papers you enrolled in, including failed papers, the grades you received and any notes of relevance to your academic history. It can be used to apply to other universities and may be requested as part of a job application, especially overseas.

What is a completion letter?

This is an official statement simply confirming your completion of a qualification at the University of Waikato. It is a written official record of the status of your qualification and may be used before the graduation ceremony. The time between completing a qualification and graduating can be several months.

Completion Letter Image