Graduation ceremonies are held twice a year and are large events celebrating the successful completion of students’ qualifications. The events are held in three locations, in Hamilton City, on the Hamilton University campus Marae and in Tauranga.

For students who graduate in Hamilton, ceremonies are held over several days as each School/Faculty has their own ceremony. Graduating students attend the graduation for free. Family and friends are welcome to attend but all those attending must have an official ticket. Up to two tickets are provided free of charge by the University and must be applied for as part of the ‘Application to Graduate’ process (see below).  Further tickets are available for purchase if required.

Applying to Graduate

An Application to Graduate must be completed in MyWaikato by the due date and submitted to the University. Log into MyWaikato, go to your Graduation tab and select ‘Apply to graduate’. Failure to complete and return the application by the specified deadline will result in a postponement of the conferment process for up to one year. The degree or diploma certificate is not automatically posted at the completion of a qualification.

If you wish to graduate in person at one of the ceremonies, you will also need to hire your academic dress.

You can contact the Student Centre here:
Phone:     0800 waikato

Conferment of Several Qualifications

If you are receiving more than one qualification at a ceremony, both will be conferred and presented at the same time. Please ensure you indicate on your application form which ceremony you wish to have your qualifications conferred.

Deferring Conferment of Qualification

If you are unable to attend your graduation ceremony it is possible to defer to the following ceremony being held by the University. You are still required to fill in your application form and return it to the Assessment and Graduation Office. There is an option to defer your ceremony on the form.

Graduating in Absentia

If you do not wish to attend a graduation ceremony you can have your degree conferred “In Absentia” which means you are not present and your name will be published in the Graduation Programme.

If you choose to graduate “In Absentia” you are still required to fill in an Application to Graduate form and your certificate will be sent you by mail at the conclusion of the graduation period. It will be posted to the address you have indicated on the form. It will not be posted to you if you do not complete an Application to Graduate form. Certificates are posted unless otherwise requested (a fee will apply if you wish to have it couriered).

Change of Name or Address

If you have had a name change we will require certified copies of evidence of the name change, such as marriage certificate, passport or deed poll, attached to your Application to Graduate form in order to ensure that the correct name is printed on your certificate.

Graduation information is emailed to you prior to your graduation ceremony. It is important, if you have a change of email address, that you notify the Student Centre to ensure you receive your graduation information and tickets.