The University of Waikato promotes the use of more sustainable travel choices amongst our students, staff and visitors. We encourage staff and students to rideshare, use public transport, and take advantage of work and study from home options when they can.
We were the first New Zealand university to add electric vehicles to our fleet. 70% of our vehicles are nil or low emission, with 16 pure electric cars and 74 hybrids. We drove 1,793,979 km in our fleet cars in 2019 - an increase of 1.7% from 2018.
There are nine charging stations for staff and visitors at the Hamilton campus, and drivers are able to charge for up to two hours. Please contact Security to book.
The Kaimai Shuttle is available for staff and students to travel between our Hamilton and Tauranga campuses for University-related activities. It runs Monday to Friday during teaching weeks, and passengers must book online in advance.
Public bus services
Thanks to an agreement with the Waikato Regional Council, University staff and students receive an additional 30% subsidy on the Bee Card card fare. The discount covers all routes in Hamilton, plus regional routes to and from Hamilton.
The discount will be applied at all times of day and every day of the year for current enrolled university students with a valid student ID and Bee card.
A Bee Card is a reusable prepay card which can be used for travel, saving you the hassle of carrying cash, and gives you a discount on the regular cash fares on urban services and some rural services in the Bay of Plenty region.
University-funded regional bus services
The University offers free regional bus services to bring students living in the wider Waikato region to the Hamilton campus.
The buses run from selected towns across the Waikato, and travel Monday to Friday to and from the University during the trimester (excluding the holidays and limited service during exams). The buses are scheduled to arrive at the University by 8.45 am, allowing you to make class from 9 am to 5 pm daily.
Bay of Plenty
The University offers a free regional bus services to bring students from Katikati, Rotorua and Whakatāne to the Tauranga campus.
These services are continuous and will run Monday to Friday from February to December (including study weeks, exam weeks and teaching recess, but not including statutory holidays).
Carpool to campus
For a less expensive commuting alternative that still provides the convenience of a car, try ridesharing to campus with a friend or two. Preferential parking has been provided at the Hamilton campus in Gates 1 (near ITS) and 10 (near the Management School - in front of NIWA). Simply pick up your free RideLink Parking Permit from Security in B Annex.
If your mates don't live nearby, or have different schedules, you can search for someone to rideshare with through the University RideLink website. Just remember if you park in the RideLink zones without a permit or if you have a permit, but arrive without your rideshare partner(s), you are subject to clamping and fines.
For more information, visit RideLink or contact the Security office on 07 838 4444.
Ridelink is not currently available for our Tauranga campus, but we still encourage you to carpool if you can.
Cycle to campus
Take advantage of Hamilton's fantastic range of on and off-road cycle paths around the city and cycle your way to campus. Once here, you can safely store you bike in one of our many bike storage facilities. We have over 1,300 bike spaces including bike racks, covered areas and lockable storage units.
Take a cycle path to our Tauranga campus where you can make use of bike racks and store your gear in one of the student lockers available on the Ground floor and Levels 1, 2 and 3.
Need to freshen up after your commute to campus?
We have over 30 locations available.
- A Block - G.19 (Unisex), G.21 (Women)
- B Block - 3.17 (Unisex)
- D Block - G.13 (Unisex), G.03 (Men)
- E Block - G.03B (Unisex)
- Property Services G.53 & G.32 (Unisex)
- G Block - B.03 (Unisex). Limited access - Key card available from Reception G.20
- Grounds Workshop - G.03A (Unisex)
- ITS.G.79 (Unisex)
- Law.G.08A (Unisex)
- Large Scale Lab - G.01 (Unisex) - Card access to building
- J Block - G.18 (Unisex). Limited access - key locked
- M Block (Student Centre) - M.2.16, M.3.11, M.4.14 (Unisex - Student Showers)
- MSB/N Block - MSB.0.38 & 0.36 showers in the men's and women's disabled toilets
- MS8 (Waikato Management School) - G.12 (Unisex). Limited access via code
- N Block - N.5.16 (Unisex)
- Performing Arts - 1.46 (Men), 1.51 (Women), 1.39A, 1.42, 1.17, 1.41 (Unisex). Limited access - building staff, classes, performers
- R Block - 2.01 (Men), 2.03 (Women)
- RS1 (Ruakura Campus) - G.07 (Unisex)
- Sports & Recreation Centre - Ground floor - Must have membership to access
- School of Education - TL3.07 (Unisex)
- School of Education - TG1.01 (Men), TG1.11 (Women) - Near gymnasium, 4 showers each location
- Te Timatanga Hou (TTH2) - G.09 (Unisex)
- UL2.G.01 (Unisex)
We have two locations available.
- Ground Floor - next to the kitchenette
- Level 1 - next to the commercial kitchen
This work aligns with the following United Nations Sustainable Development Goals