Your daily commute
The University of Waikato promotes and encourage more sustainable travel choices amongst our students, staff and visitors. We encourage staff and students to rideshare, use public forms of transport, and take advantage of our video-conferencing facilities wherever possible.
We were the first New Zealand university to add electric vehicles to our fleet. Over half our fleet of 145 vehicles is greening up, with nine pure electric and 73 hybrids. We drove 1,763,852 km in our fleet cars in 2018 - a decrease of 8% from 2017. There are two charging stations for staff and visitors at the Hamilton campus, and drivers are able to charge for up to two hours. Please contact Security to book.
Bus to campus
Thanks to an agreement with the Waikato Regional Council, University staff and students receive an additional 30% subsidy on the BUSIT card fare, paying only $1.70 per trip.
The 30% discount will be applied to the adult BUSIT card rate, reducing it from $2.40 to $1.70 a trip, with the University picking up the tab for the rest. The BUSIT card rate is already significantly cheaper than the single adult cash fare of $3.30. The discount covers all routes in Hamilton, plus regional routes to and from Hamilton. The discount will be applied at all times of day and every day of the year for current enrolled university students with a valid ID and BUSIT card.
Visit BUSIT for full information on bus routes, fares and timetables.
Carpool to campus
For a less expensive commuting alternative that still provides the convenience of a car, try ridesharing to campus with a friend or two. Preferential parking has been provided in Gates 1 (near ITS) and 10 (near the Management School - in front of NIWA). Simply pick up your free RideLink Parking Permit from Security in B Annex. If your mates don't live nearby, or have different schedules, you can search for someone to rideshare with through the University RideLink website. Just remember if you park in the RideLink zones without a permit or if you have a permit, but arrive without your rideshare partner(s), you are subject to clamping and fines.
For more information, visit RideLink or contact the Security office on (838)4444.
Cycle to campus
Take advantage of Hamilton's fantastic range of on and off-road cycle paths around the city and cycle your way to campus. Once here, you can safely store you bike in one of our many bike storage facilities, We have over 1,300 bike spaces including bike racks, covered areas and lockable storage units.
Need to freshen up after your commute to campus? We have over 30 showering facilities on our Hamilton campus, check out the locations here:
- A Block - G.19 (Unisex), G.21 (women)
- B Block - 3.17 (Unisex)
- D Block - G.13 (Unisex), G.03 (Men)
- E BlockG.03BUnisex
- Facilities ManagementG.53 & G.32Unisex
- G BlockB.03Limited access, unisex - Key card available from Reception G.20
- Grounds WorkshopG.03AUnisex
- Large Scale LabG.01Unisex - Card access to building
- J BlockG.18Unisex - Limited access - key locked
- M Block (Student Centre)M.2.16, M.3.11, M.4.14Unisex - Student Showers
- MSB/N Block, MSB.0.38 & 0.36 showers in the men's and women's disabled toilets (student available)
- MS8 (Waikato Management School)G.12Unisex. Limited access, via code
- N Block, N.5.16, Unisex
- Performing ArtsMen (1.46), Women (1.51), 1.39A, 1.42, 1.17, 1.41 UnisexLimited access - building staff, classes, performers
- R BlockMen (2.01), Women (2.03)
- RS1 (Ruakura Campus)G.07Unisex
- Sports & Recreation CentreGround floorMust have membership to access
- Faculty of Education (TL)3.07Unisex
- Faculty of Education (TG)Men (1.01), Women (1.11)Near gymnasium - 4 showers each location
- Te Timatanga Hou (TTH2)G.09Unisex